A Lost Cause

It all happened so fast. I didn't know what to do, where I was, or what had just happened. I went out cold. That was the last I would ever see of Estelle. My best friend, again.

-- 4 Weeks Before --

Estelle motioned her hand for me to come get a better view of the fireworks. It's the fourth of July. I dashed over to my best friend to watch the colorful bursts of many different colors, while standing next to Estelle.

"Today has been so much fun!" She exclaims.

I nod and say, "It has! Thank you so much for inviting me. I better get going home. See ya!"

"Okay. Bye!" Estelle says.

I only live about two blocks from Estelle's house, so I just walk home.

I get home at about 11:41 pm, I like to take my time while on walks.

I walk into my room, close the door behind me and pull out my phone to text Estelle.

"Wanna go to the mall tomorrow afternoon?"

She texts back almost immediately.

"Yes! Of course. I'll let my mom know!"

And I leave it at that. But, I haven't told her yet that I'll be moving back to Germany in 5 weeks.. This is going to be tough.

--

I walk into the kitchen and find my brother, Tom, making breakfast.

"Want any?" He asks.

"No, I gotta get dressed so I can go to the mall with Estelle." I respond.

--

It's been a funday with Estelle at the mall. We've been so many places but got hardly any clothes. Then we walk into Hot Topic. It was like where her and I both belong. We got so much band merch but k had my eye set on a Counting Some Stars hoodie.

I decide to get it since, y'know, they're my favorite band.

"LET'S GO TO STARBUCKS!" Estelle screeched.

I nodded and pointed onward.

There's so many choices to choose just one.

"Uhm.. Estelle..?" I say as we sit down in the Starbucks booth.

"Yeah?" She responds, eager to know what I have to tell her.

"I don't want to down the mood but," I start. I trail off into some daydream.

"Brandee? Hello?!" Estelle says waving her hand in my face.

I finally snap out of it.

"Oh! Sorry, uhm well. I'm going to be moving back to Germany. "

Her face drops. "What."

I can feel the tears threatening to spill at any given moment.