Prince of Belzia

Avi knocks on the door. "Dad?" He calls out, not hearing a reply.

Slowly, he opens the door, and blood pools at his feet. It drips down the entire length of the rug, the dark crimson a stark contrast against the bleached white, and he can only stare in horror at the body of the man he once called father.

"Save yourself." The room seems to echo to him. "Save yourself from my murderer."

He quickly makes the Sign of the Cross, apologising to his father for leaving him as he is, and leaves to find his uncle. His uncle is like a second father figure to him, always giving him advice and watching out for him whenever his father was too busy dealing with matters of the crown. If anyone knew what to do, it would be his uncle.

Rounding a corner, he hears voices.

"Make sure the Prince doesn't escape. His highness, Javier, wants to kill him, himself." The voice was a deep baritone and it sent shivers up his spine. "Guard all exits. No one leaves or enters until the Prince is dead."

"Yes, sir." The chorus makes him freeze in place. Here was the army sent to protect him, the army he had been introduced to when he was a little boy. He knew each of their names; he could fondly recollect memories from his younger years with each one of them. How easily was it for them to be bought over? How could they betray their monarch? How could his uncle kill his own brother?

All the precious memories he's collected over the years is now tarnished by the shedding of blood. His rose coloured glasses are now stained red. No longer is he able to see the innocence in everything. No longer will he be a child. He is now the King of Belzia. And his first act as King is to save himself so he can reclaim his rightful throne.

Ducking through the tunnels he familiarised himself with as a child, he finds the exit... but it is guarded.

"Nate..." He pleads the soldier. "Nathaniel... Please, you've known me for years. We grew up together. You're practically like my big brother. You can take all my money. Take all I have, if you want, but let me live."

"You're my best friend, Nate." He begs. "Whatever my uncle promised you, is it really worth it? To kill your own friend? To kill your king?"

His shoulders slump, hand moving away from the weapon. "Go, Avi." He pushes him through the door. "I'll tell your Uncle you ran out the gates during a shift change, that you found your father's body and couldn't take it. I'll tell him you jumped the bridge..."

"Thank you, Nate." He hugs his friend, wiping away the stray tears.

"Save yourself." The soldier urges him, strangely echoing the words from the room. "I'll do my best here."

With a final wave, he leaves the castle, leaves his kingdom, saying goodbye to everything he once knew, including his childhood.

-------

"Uhh, guys. Breaking news." Max announces, attracting the Ravens' attention. "His Majesty, King Elias the third was found dead in his office this morning."

"No way." Emma moves closer, looking at the laptop as well.

"His son, His Royal Highness, Prince Octavius, was reported to have found the body and was unable to take it. Eyewitnesses claim he committed suicide by jumping off the bridge. His body is yet to be found and search parties are being sent out..." Max continues reading to the shocked Ravens.

"I can't believe he's gone." Hayley mumbles to herself. "We just talked to him two days ago..."

-------