14 - Playing Games

Corri's High School Graduation 

"Hey."

I was startled by the sound of Colt's voice and his hand on my hip. I nearly banged my head on the inside of the dryer as he stood behind me. "Shit," I gasped as I lifted my head and turned to face him. "You scared me."

I shivered when I felt Colt's eyes skim over my body. I had come out to the garage to finish ironing my dress when I decided to put a load of laundry into the dryer from the washer. I was only wearing a pair of short shorts and a tank top, foregoing a bra since I didn't plan on being out here this long. I caught the way he was focusing on my breasts and how his breathing sped up. "Did you need something?" Please say me.

Colt's tongue popped out and swept over his lower lip slowly. When his eyes drifted to my chest again and I caught him staring, he glanced at the ground. "Umm…nothing. Just looking for a shirt."

He reached past me to the clothes rack above the dryer and yanked a shirt from the hanger. I breathed in the scent of him all fresh and clean from the shower with his hair still damp and unstyled. My heart sunk when I realized he was slipping his button down work shirt from the junkyard up over his white wife beater. "You have to go to work?" I sighed.

"Yeah, I'm sorry. I really wanted to be at your graduation but I couldn't get the day off."

Disappointment flooded my chest and I moved away from him, reaching for the dress I had just ironed. Colt grabbed my wrist when I strode toward the house. "Don't get mad, okay? I'll try to make it back for your party later."

I nodded but kept my eyes to the ground. He slid two fingers under my chin and lifted my gaze until it met his. "I really am sorry." His green eyes twinkled when he bent his head and pressed his forehead to mine. 

"I just wanted you there," I pouted. 

"I know," Colt nodded. I gasped when he gathered me into his arms and lifted me off my feet.

"Colt!" I squealed as he spun me. 

He reluctantly released me, pressing a quick kiss to my cheek. "I just wanted to see you smile." His thumb dragged over my bottom lip and he stared. My stomach twisted with anxiety because all I wanted was to lean up on my tiptoes and grab that elusive kiss I'd been waiting for for the past three years.

"I gotta go, Butterfly," Colt grinned, suddenly looking like he needed to keep his distance

Was this as difficult for him as it was for me? On some level I hoped so.

As I showered and began to get ready for the ceremony, my mind churned with thoughts of Colt. We had gotten along so well and I often got the feeling he was holding back from me. He was always quick to remind me of my age and still being "just a high schooler." But now I wouldn't be. Now I was just three short months away from being a college student.