Chapter 4: Meetings & Beginnings

My heart started thumping loudly against my chest as my hands started covering with sweat.When I looked outside the window I saw Him coming towards the carriage.I knew what he was going to do.I knew how my heart had been thumping when I had seen him coming closer to the carriage.

This time, too my heart was thumping but not with anticipation or excitement but with dread and angst.

He slowly opened the carriage door and stretched his elbow forward to help me get down the carriage.I silently scoffed as I remembered how my heart had fluttered when he had done this in my previous life.I had been so happy by his gesture that I had not even been able to detect his expression.I had failed to see how his ebony eyes had been dark without one ray of glow.That glow that would always cover his eyes only when he would see her.I had never been a direct recipient of those gleaming eyes but I remember when I had first seen his lit up face when she had entered in our room.I remember being so foolish as to being glad to even be able to see those eyes even though they were looking at someone else.I remember how I had stayed up many nights later drawing those eyes, trying to capture that light in his eyes and always being disappointed with the end result as if no painting could ever reciprocate that radiance.

His eyes even right now were still as dull as dishwater.

But now I knew him better, more than anybody else.In my previous life all I did was dote on him, noticing the ever slight changes in his expressions and how they expressed his different moods.

Now I knew that even though he was helping me to get down, this was just an act of civility.Nothing more.

I quietly ignored his outstretched elbow and got off on my own.His expression remained the same as he slowly retracted his elbow but I noticed how his eyes had flickered a bit.I smiled slightly at this small victory of mine and then took a deep breath. This was just the start.

He quickly caught up to me and then we were walking side by side.The flowers in the garden beside bloomed in their full glory.I remembered how this garden had been my safe haven.A place that had always seemed to lighten the burdens in my heart.Both of us didn't exchange a single word until we reached the entrance of the palace courtroom.He opened the door to lead me inside as he quietly ordered our servants to stay outside.

As the door closed behind me I realised that we were the only two people in the room.He looked at me as he said, "Delilah?" with a fazed tone as if he didn't even remember my name.

I looked at him and replied in a normal tone but my eyes shone fiercely as i said, "Yes sire my name is Delilah, Delilah Glenstia." 

Glenstia. I was a member of House Glenstia before I was just a pawn in his game.Our house, though not the strongest or the wealthiest house, was the oldest house.As old as the empire itself. And here, tradition and heritage was as important and powerful as any other asset.

In my previous life I had forgotten and abandoned my duties as a member of House Glenstia in the face of my stupid love but now I would not repeat this mistake again.This time I would protect our honour and prestige.

Again his eyes flickered at my response.I knew the reason behind it.He was taken aback.The crown prince I knew had always been admired by those near him.I too had loved and respected him in my previous life.Right now he was surprised by the sharpness in my tone.By the hostility in my eyes.But what he didn't know was that I had every reason to be bitter towards him.

He spoke again, "Yes Delilah Glenstia I have something to tell you."

His eyes unwavering as he spoke. A cold chill ran down my spine.Not because of the unusual look in his eyes but because of his words.I remember every thing he had earlier said on this day.Each and every word.

But the words he was saying now was not what he had said previously.This meant my actions were affecting those around me.My heart filled with hope but also with fear of the uncertainty of the future.

He looked at my face which had now lost its colour."Are you feeling fine?" he said.

I looked at him and quickly replied, "Yes sire I'm feeling alright please do continue with what you were saying."

He opened his mouth but before he could  say something a cold seductive voice cut him off.

"Hello Lady Delilah.It's nice to meet you.I'm a childhood friend of Adam.My name's Evelynnia."

Whatever colour that had been remaining in my face was now flushed away as I saw her slowly walking towards where we were standing.Her movements  were marked with fluidity as well as unruliness.That was her charm.In a place where women worked hard to be graceful she nonchalantly flaunted her uneven edges, making her more deadly as well as charming.Her amber eyes glowed softly as she smiled lethally.

She had the same glow in her eyes that day, when my execution had been announced.

The glow that emerges when a hunter sees their prey trapped in their snare.I shuddered and then quickly braced myself.The game had only begun and there was no time to be afraid or hesitant.

I stood tall while I smiled.A smile as cold as hers.

Author's T/n

Thank you for reading "The Forsaken Moon".If you liked it the please don't forget to like and comment. :))