Epilogue: Old Lady and a Thicka'moor Tree

“That’s how I ended up here.” Adrian sighed, stroking her light grey braid.  Katlin sat cross-legged on the bed in awe.  She clung to the end of Adrian’s story.  If it wasn’t for the chime of a nearby grandfather’s clock, she would have stayed there for hours, but the sound pulled her back to reality.  Two hours had passed.

“Oh my.” Katlin exclaimed, getting off the bed.  Straitening her uniform, she fixed her ponytail.  “I have to go.”

Adrian nodded, and swiveled around to her desk.  The younger girl grabbed the medicine tray.  With it in hand, she headed to the door.  As her fingers grazed the smooth door handle, Adrian put down the pen she picked up.

“Thank you.” She said.  Katlin paused, letting her fingers linger on the knob.

“What for?”

“For listening to an old women and her ramblings.” Adrian turned to the nurse with a smile.

“It is my job.”

“Maybe, but most people wouldn’t give me a second thought.  I have a gift for you.” Adrian said as she carefully unclasped the ruby necklace that laid across her chest.  Katlin’s arm fell to her side.

“I couldn’t-”

“Please.” Adrian held out the jewelry in her wrinkled palm. “My time has passed but perhaps you can still see them.  It would make an old women very happy.”

Katlin couldn’t deny the women’s request.  Gratefully she took the necklace.  Grasping it, she wordlessly left Adrian’s room.  She closed the door behind her with a faint click.  As she walked down the hall she fiddled with the jewelry.  It was smooth against her skin.  Once she reached the medic room she returned her tray and went to the nurses’ locker room.  The necklace was still in her hand.  She played with it as she grabbed her things from her locker.  For a few seconds she stared at the necklace, and then decided to put it on.

Unclipping the clasp, she adjusted the chain.  As she re-clipped it, she let the gem rest on her skin.  Nothing happened.  Katlin almost laughed at herself.  What was she expecting, a surge of power or something?  Shaking her head she threw on her black jacket and swung her purse over her shoulder.  Signing out, she left the institution.

It was a short walk from the building to her car.  A chill shuddered through the air.  With a shiver, she zipped up her coat.  Even with her coat, the wind still pierced her skin.  The overclouded sky gloomed the early autumn atmosphere.  Hugging herself, she set out.

She was halfway across the parking lot she heard it.  A high-pitched giggle.

Confused, Katlin glanced across the lot.  Nothing caught her attention.  As she began walking again, the laughter spiked.  Stopping, she examined the parking lot more vigorously.  Still nothing popped out at her.  Until she saw a shimmer of light from the park out of the corner of her eye, she swiveled around.  Butterflies danced around the park.  She thought that maybe the giggles were from children playing in the park, but as she inspected the grounds, she couldn’t find any. The only thing she saw was a couple of butterfly floating near a tree.  Curiosity took over as she crept closer.  Soon, between the giggles, Katlin could make out high-pitched voices.

“Guys, grandpa Wergwort is going to be furious if we don’t get back soon.” One of the butterflies cried out.

“Oh come on, you know you want to explore.” The other edged on.

By now Katlin was close enough to discern their humanoid faces.  A gasp escaped her lips.  The butterflies swiveled around to face the redhead,

“Is she a fairy whisperer?  She can see us.” The first one questioned.

“I don’t think she’s pretty enough, see her funny hair.” The second fairy pointed out.  It flew near her head and pulled a strand of loose hair. “Usually it’s not so curly.’

“Yeah.” The first replied as it came closer to inspect her hair.  Katlin swatted the air around her, twisting around to escape the creatures.

“Stop that!” Katlin complained.  One of the fairies crossed her arms, ready to make a snarky remark, when someone interrupted them.

“Come back here before the tear closes!” the voice barked.

“Coming grandpa Wergwort.” The fairies replied in unison.  As they rushed forward, Katlin tripped backwards.  A falling sensation took over.  Her head hit grassy ground with a thud.  The soft, damp turf cushioned her landing.  Above her the voices of the fairies drifted away.

Katlin’s eyes fluttered open.  Without hesitation she rocketed up.  The fairies flew behind a bush and out of the clearing before Katlin had a chance to open her mouth.  Dizziness took over.  She had stood up to fast.  Stumbling back, she clutched her forehead and leaned her weight on a nearby tree.  In a few seconds the disequilibrium vanished.  She shook her head, and examined her surroundings.  Trees loomed over her.  She was in a forest.  Katlin’s thoughts reeled back to the clinic, and the beginning of Adrian’s fantasy, ‘A crazy old lady and a thicka’moor tree.’