ACT 2

ACT TWO
— history repeats itself —

2. SCENE ONE
— the war of worlds —

March 3rd, 1917

Dear Tommy,

It feels like so long since we last were able to write to each other. It took me weeks to find out how I could reach you, and now I feel as if all hope is lost in wishing you could return home on leave, if only for a few weeks.

I think of you in each moment of my day and every dream I have at night. We do not know where Alex is, nor John, and I don't imagine they are with you. Polly says we should be glad that no letters have arrived, no yellow paper to say they're missing. I suppose she's right. I know what you'd say: 'She usually is.'

I am afraid it must be I that brings you the bad news. Martha passed last night in her sleep. We knew it was coming and yet I didn't think life would be so cruel. If you see John, please tell him his children are well looked after, and that we will have a funeral for her and lay his wife to rest where she wanted.

I go to church now with Polly. I still don't think I believe, but it brings me comfort to think that if God is real there may be someone else looking out for you, wherever you are. So I shall pray for you, my love, and hope that God sees the love I have for you and deems it worth saving.

Come back to me, Tommy.

Yours faithfully,

Vivian.

2. SCENE TWO
— modern recreations —

The hospital was already close to full capacity when Eliza finally arrived, her face flushed from the hurried rest of the journey she had to make. As she entered the door to her ward, her bag was already dropped into the cloakroom, her protective apron pulled over her crumpled uniform.

Maisey Patrick, a girl younger than Eliza by ten years, appeared by her side, handing her a clipboard of her first patient.

"You're late," Maisey sang, helping to wrap the string around her waist.

"I know. I know. No need to tell me," Eliza said, smiling at the sight of her friend, who she'd quickly taken under her wing at the hospital. "I got caught up."

"By a man?"

Eliza's brows rose in surprise. "How on earth do you tell these things?"

"It's in my bones," Maisey said with a shrug. "So, tell me what happened."

Eliza didn't miss a beat as she spoke to Maisey, at the same time moving her equipment from an empty bed, making room for a patient and their doctor. "He bumped straight into me just round the corner from the hospital. He told me he was in a rush to go to the bakery before it closes."

"The one on the corner?" Eliza nodded and Maisey's face brightened. "Oh, it's beautiful. Best bread I've ever had."

"That's what he said," Eliza said, letting herself pause. She thought of James and his vivacious nature. "I don't know. It was strange. A good strange, I mean. One second he was looking at me like I was an alien, all dazed with his lips parted and eyes wide, then the next he was hurrying away, asking to show me the bakery someday."

Her friend's eyes widened. "You said yes, didn't you?"

"Yes. I told him nine o'clock tomorrow."

"Tomorrow!" Maisey exclaimed. "Dear, he must be handsome!"