Guilty Trip

To quote a line from my favorite trilogy - my mother's resistance was beautiful. At least, that's what her killer said. She was like an angry angel, he said, trying to get away from me. I don't get it.

I sort of get it. The artist in me - or, the one I hope to be - gets it, at least. As he described her, I had an obvious picture in my mind. So, obviously, I get it. But I don't.

Does that make sense?

Don't worry. It doesn't have to.

You know, I was upsatirs. As mom would say, sleeping like a newborn baby. When he came, mom was either cooking, cleaning, or reading - you know, something motherly. The attacker attacked her from behind with barbed wire. Probably strangled her. Killed her.

She was there when I awoke a few hours later. The killer was right - she was beautiful. She lay in the middle of the living room. Blood pooled beneath her. Blonde hair naturally fanning out around her. Standing there, I could see scratch marks on her neck - defense wounds.

It took a while for me to look away, but when I did, I saw that the T.V. was missing from its place on the wall, the table in front of it was shattered, so it was clearly a robbery-

"Adeline?" a voice asks, making me pause.

Taking my eyes off my drawing pad, I look around. With unfeeling blue eyes, Elijan stares out at me. "Get your stuff together; it's time to go."

I nod. We gather my eleven bags and get them into the detectives' car together. With a sigh, I pull my hood over my head.

Nowhere, Vermont - here we come.

Is this another book I've began?? Nooooo..... IT CAN'T BE!

~xoxo, maya cyns