A Time For Laughter-A Time For You To Shut Up

I only have ten minutes to get ready for school. That's ten minutes of listening to my father and stepmother talk about moi. Well, more like my father bitch to her about my feelings and she listens. Another reason why my dad and I don't get along.

We'll never get along if he keeps on giving me hell over little things.

I ended up falling asleep in the woods last night. So what? I'm alive—there is blood still pumping through my veins. It's simple—I needed air. Not everyone can go around blowing hot air when their feeling something, like some people in this house.

Quickly, I dress in a plain white tee shirt and grey sweatpants. I slip on my white sneakers. I grab my backpack and swing it onto my shoulders. I then grab my phone and make my way to leave.

I roll my eyes at Silas as I make my way down the ladder. "Waiting on me?"

"I didn't want to go down there by myself and listen to them," he explains. "Besides, you and I have been assigned to carpooling duties."

"Carpooling duties?" I question. "Us?"

"Well, since you're the new girl in our little group, you have to pick and drop off everyone in the group at school. But since I'm your brother—"

"You say that like it's a bad thing!"

"—I'm strung along with you."

Again, I roll my eyes. He helps me push the ladder up. Running my fingers through my wild curls, I ask, "You're borrowing your mom's car? Because I really don't want to ask dad."

We began walking downstairs. "I texted her last night. She understands,"

I sigh as we round the corner into the kitchen. Dad and Elijan stop talking once they notice us. Mandy makes herself busy by cleaning out the sink and I roll my eyes.

I do that a lot, don't I?

So dramatic. "Please. Don't stop on my account,"

Silas elbows me, earning him a disapproving look. I hear Mandy clear her throat and I look towards her.

"Keys," she says, holding them out. "Have a nice day, kids."

I reach across the counter and pluck the keys away. "Thank you, Mandy,"

I look towards Elijah and Dad. He avoids my gaze, while Elijan meets mine. And, funny thing, he smirks.

Elijan and I—if I haven't already said this, though I'm sure I haven't—were never close. At all. Whatsoever. I was just the girl he shared a bathroom with, and the feeling was mutual. I used to think that his feelings toward me had to do with Silas—no. It had to do with me and my weird personality that isn't mentally compatible with his.

"Come on, Rainbow," Silas says, grabbing me by the arm.

I let him pull me away from the room. Watching as he pulls on his jacket, I open the front door. Oh, chilly. Shivering, I heading to the car.

"Ah, ah, ah! Driver's side." Silas says from behind me.

"Why do I have to drive?" I ask as I move to the other side of the car.

"I said you have to pick up and drop everyone off, remember?"

I slide into the driver seat with the side. The car comes to life. Our car door slams shut, and we quickly move out of the driveway and down the road.

We drive around in silence, passing by a lot of trees before I ask, "Have you ever asked Dad why he chooses to live so far out in the woods?"

"No. I mean, he and I don't really hang out much."