Saturday

As I wake up, I don't panic, gasping and crying. Not like last time. Instead, I stare up at the ceiling. I see the girl in the funky patterns drawn in the wood. She's staring at me, unmoving. Her eyes, they're this electrifying hazel color. They're trying to tell me something and I can't figure it out.

The sky starts turning that color, telling me it's time to get up. I push the blanket away as I sit up. My hair hangs in wild tight curls around my face and I shake them. I run my hand over my hair as I stand and start making my way to the ladder.

Saturday was the day to have fun when I was living in Texas. The day was spent with my friends: Jasmine, Layla, Kyle, Sam, Jose, and Trish. Believe it or not, our group used to be bigger, but Honesty and Tyler graduated last year. And sadly, they both went into the Army.

I really miss them.

Honesty was the best. She'd be on me about my meds. She's been through the aftermath of me not taking them for a while. That's one of the reasons we broke up. Obviously, there's more to it than just that. We kinda just grew apart.

And Tyler, he was the brother I always wanted. Elijan despised me after I agreed with mom over the matter of her marriage with Dad. He blamed me for pulling them apart (for the record, I didn't). Tyler became a surrogate for him. Plus, the fact that he didn't like Elijan put a cherry on top.

They both were my best friends. They both are my best friends. Even if they're a thousand miles away.

I feel a tear sliding down my cheek and quickly wipe it away.

Coming to the bottom of the stairs, I hear nothing. Mandy isn't humming in the kitchen. Dad isn't talking with Elijan, Silas isn't putting his two cents in their conversation. Nothing. I guess they all have their own Saturday routine. I walk into the kitchen with a sigh. A sheet of paper the r rests on the counter, along with a worn-out journal. I reach for the paper first.

This came in the mail from Texas. Elijan doesn't want it so it's yours. By the way, I'm working on a case so I probably won't be home in a while. Silas is at work and Elijan is out w/ friends. Don't cause any trouble and please take your pills. Signed, Dad

I notice the two small tablets beside the piece of paper and roll my eyes. I slide them into my hand, staring at them. I look back at the note. My hand grabs onto the journal, slightly confused. I flip it over.

Laila V, 2020

I drop the journal back onto the counter with a bang. I back away from it as I shake my head. Nope, this is tomorrow's problem. I turn on my heels and run up the stairs. I head into the bathroom and close the door. I grab a square of tissue, settling my pills in it. I place my hands on either side of the sink and sigh.

Breathe. Breathe. Breathe.

I turn the faucet on heat, letting the water run over my hands. I splash the pool onto my face. Okay. Okay. Five more seconds, and then I'm done.

One, I turn the water off. Two, I shake my hands and dry them on the nearest towel. Three, I dry my face off and breathe in its clean scent. Four, I fold the towel neatly and place it as found. Five, I open the door and walk out as if nothing happened.

I'm back, baby. I have school in a little while, so enjoy this. hope for an update this weekend.

xoxo, yourcityrose

maya cyns