.11. ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇxᴘʀᴇssɪᴏɴ "ʙʀᴇᴀᴛʜ ᴏғ ғʀᴇsʜ ᴀɪʀ" ᴛᴀᴋᴇs ᴏɴ ᴀ ᴡʜᴏʟᴇ ɴᴇᴡ ᴍᴇᴀɴɪɴɢ

The desk had never looked so messy. An impressive pile of newspapers was sitting precariously on the edge of the table, threatening to spill onto the floor any minute now.

This won't do.

Jungkook rolled up his sleeves and placed the recently purchased cork board in the middle of the room. One by one, he pinned the clues and pieces of this odd puzzle onto the board. They consisted mostly of Lupin's notes and newspaper clippings.

Today's papers were filled with articles recounting the events that had unfolded at the Royal Opera House the night before, testimonies from spectators, and biographies of Jin who was portrayed in a rather favourable light, his aphonia often blamed on stress and overwork.

Photographers were not authorized to use their cameras inside the Opera House. Yet somehow, one journal had printed a picture of Jin as he was leaving the stage, escorted by two staff members who were mostly preventing the extravagant costume from getting all tangled and ruined. Jin's expression looked distraught. As he stared closer, a detail caught Jungkook's eye.

Jin's chocker.

The snapshot was promptly cut out and placed next to a small doodling that anyone would be hard-pressed to describe.

Finally, his desk was clear. Only then did Jungkook allow his mind to drift toward a certain someone who was lately taking up more and more of his thoughts.

"Taehyung?"

"Jungkook! You called again!"

"I wanted to apologize for Wednesday night."

"Apologize? Whatever for?"

"For our terrible date, what else? I mean, you had this panic attack — and then Jin — the show was ruined—"

"Jungkook."

"Yes?"

"We kissed and held hands. Remember?"

"Yes, I do remember."

"In my book, that accounts for a rather successful date."

"You're telling me you actually had a good time?"

"Indeed! I couldn't wait for you to call again. Though I honestly didn't think it'd be so soon."

Jungkook blushed at those words. He truly wasn't the most subtle suitor. Well, since he had exposed himself, he might as well roll with it. "Tae, I really want to make it up to you."

"Are you asking me out on another date?"

"I-I guess I am."

Taehyung smiled in his transmitter, barely suppressing a squeal. "Are you up for lunch tomorrow?" he inquired, taking Jungkook off guard once again.

"— yes! Of course!"

As soon as he heard himself talk, Jungkook pulled a face. It just sounded so obvious, how much he was yearning to be with Tae. The other pretended not to notice. "Lovely! Meet me at the Alexandra Park racecourse at noon."

"We're having lunch at the tracks? But — it's Friday tomorrow."

"And?"

"There are no races on Fridays."

"We're not going there to watch horses being whipped senseless for the entertainment of folks with very questionable taste in leisure activities. We're going there to have lunch."

Jungkook had learned by now not to question Taehyung's choices. "Lunch tomorrow at the tracks it is then!"

"Don't be late!"

Jungkook couldn't see Taehyung's smirk but he could imagine him winking mischievously. Once again, he had ended up being the one asked out, and not the other way around, contrary to what he had planned when he had first picked up his candlestick phone. Tae really had a way of getting what he wanted, without having to work for it much. However at this point, our young detective wasn't complaining. Any time spent with Taehyung was a breath of fresh air.

A breath of fresh air.

As the blimp slowly lifted off the grassy terrain of the Alexandra Park racecourse, Jungkook chuckled. Today, Taehyung was quite literally his breath of fresh air.

Wattpad fanfic writers write for free, but one way you can show your appreciation for their hard work is to vote!

Thank you for reading ~♡