31. Mayhem in Mexico

Melissa entered Seb's driver's room before qualifying on the Saturday in Mexico. He was sat on a chair, scrolling on his phone. He put it down as soon as he saw her walk in. He held his arms out and she walked over to him. He put his head on her stomach.

"Hello my little peanut," he said. "It's your daddy here. I've got to go out in my racing car in a minute. You make sure you look after your mummy and stop making her sick."  Melissa smiled and dropped a kiss on the top of his head.

"They're ready for you champ. You go careful. The rain is pretty bad."

"I'm always careful," he said, kissing her as he stood. "And I have more to be careful for now."  He headed out and towards the garage. Qualifying was going to be interesting. Weather like this always threw up a surprise.

***

In the end the weather didn't throw up that much of a surprise. True, Seb was only seventh on the grid, but Daniel was ninth, so he wasn't too unhappy. Points were won on Sundays after all. Once all the interviews were done for the day and he'd met with his engineers, he was going to relax, he wasn't going to worry about things.  What was the point?  He just had to see what tomorrow would bring. He would spend the evening curled up in bed with the woman he loved. What could be better?

***

The weather hadn't cleared up much on the Sunday. There was a lot of talk about starting the race behind the safety car, but in the end it was announced that there would be the usual standing start.  Several of the drivers, Seb included, had complained about it but their concerns had been brushed aside. 

Seb lowered himself into his car. He had to get in the zone. He closed his eyes and shut himself off from the outside world. Before long it was time for the formation lap. They all snaked around the circuit, slipping and sliding everywhere.

"This is madness," he stated down the team radio. "How can they even consider racing in these conditions? Oh yes. Money, money, money."

"Stay calm Seb, " Chris answered. "No heroics, just bring her home."

They lined up ready on the grid. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Lights out!   The twenty cars all shot forward, trying to get the advantage into the first corner. By some miracle they all made it through, but taking the second corner Max Verstappen, who had started on pole, span and hit into the side of George Russell. Then as he was so close behind them Lando Norris clipped Russell, and span.  

The following cars weaved in and out of the carnage, trying to avoid ending up in the same position. Carlos Sainz managed to get through. Leclerc picked up front wing damage but managed to keep going. Nyck deVries avoided it all by going off the track. Seb thought he was going to smack straight into Lando but the McLaren span out of the way at the last second.

Daniel Ricicardo wasn't so lucky and went straight into his spinning teammate, ending both of their races. That was four cars out on the first lap!  It came as no surprise to everyone when the red flag was brought out. 

The remaining cars headed back into the pits.  The marshalls set about clearing up the widespread debris.  To everyone's relief all four drivers climbed out of their cars, pissed off, but unhurt.  Seb climbed out of his car and went to the pit wall to talk to Otmar.

"This is madness. It's far too wet out there.  There's next to zero visibility.  How can they justify sending us out there?"

"Seb, I'm on at them.  But if they say we race, we race."  Seb sighed and stomped off back into the garage.  He saw Melissa leaning against the wall at the back.  He took his HANS and helmet off, handing them to Antti.  He headed over to his girlfriend and hugged her.