Chapter 36

Forgiving is easy, forgetting... is not
-Author

"Can you save her?"

The doctor thoroughly examined her head through the monitor screen. The impact of the bullet has made her pulse stopped for a few hours. Luckily, 47 brought her as fast as he could. Though, he wasn't expecting the shaking head of the doctor. Doctor Dimitri, was his name. Which Diana had provided for intel and from her secret connection. Knowing a public hospital would be not be preferred.

The hospital can't be accessed freely by the public. Moreover, it was more in the path of those who has connections. Every employees and patients, doctors and nurses, all know each other. Making sure there was no security breach of any impostors, each of them already recognized everyone's identity.

Dimitri sighed under his breath, looking at the scanned black photograph of Helena's skull. 47 too a glimpse behind the glass barrier, looking at his partner's bare feet on the edge of the bed. Dimitri spun his head towards him, arranging the appropriate words.

"You brought her in time, fast enough for her to survive. If the bullet had went through her head, she wouldn't have survived," he explained. "Lucky for her, the bullet is stuck inside. But..."

"But?"

There was silence in between, he slowly snatched off his glasses, taking a long moment examining the reports coming in from his printer. "She can survive, 47. At the cost of her losing her memory."

Just like a thunder storm, something inside him rumbled to an uncertainty. A heavy weight carrying around the uneven beating of his heart. His expression remained the same, yet he couldn't bare himself with the void sucking on his sanity.

One thing that kept him busy inside his head from the beginning, was for her to survive. Hearing her laugh echoing inside his ears, seeing the dimple on her cheek as she smiles, gazing at her embarrassment when she's blushing. All of the above. How can he bare the thoughts of losing those precious memories?

47 is always up for a challenge. He doesn't mind to rewrite their history, all over again, from zero. But, something inside him said otherwise.

She had enough. The only sentence roaming his head. She had enough cruelty and burden that the world could over. He had put her in many dangerous situation, including the last one. She took a bullet for him, recklessly: like he always knows about her. He doesn't want that. He doesn't want her to suffer anymore from the world he's in.

She needs to retire from the world of assassination.

"Do what you must."

"And when it's done?"

47 paused his steps as he was reaching for the steel door's handle, he turned his head and said, "I will handle the rest."

*****

Helena's POV
What.. happened?

I let my eyes roamed the view of the ceiling above me. The only thing I recognized was the familiar smell all across the room. I immediately knew I was in one of the room of a hospital. However, I realized how the ache in my head felt like hell.

I reached for my head, hoping to caress the pain away. However, I was greeted by the small tube running its liquid on my left hand. Great, I thought. I then switched to my right hand, searching for the ache on a mysterious spot of my head. I widened my eyes when realized the was bandages around my head, surrounding the fabric all across my forehead and to the back. I regretted soothing my fingers on my forehead, because it was painful as fuck as I grunted lowly.