A Night To Remember- A short story by Ash Grover

The air around me was icy, I stared at the poster in front of me "TICKETS FOR TITANIC FOR SALE" it said. I ripped the paper off the brick wall and shoved it in my pocket then hurried off back home before I froze to death. When I got home I immediately took my coat off and copied the phone number into the telephone.

Once I had ordered the tickets they told me they were going to deliver them to our house. They wouldn't come until the day the ship was going to sail.

I go out into the theater room where my mother is at the sink making some tea.

"Uh- mother."

"What's it now, Jules?" She sounds annoyed.

"I saw a poster selling the tickets for Titanic, the ship that you were talking about earlier."

Her face lights up at the sound of it, "Ah yes! The unsinkable ship that the folks have been running their mouths about! What about it?"

"I saw a poster selling tickets, I bought some."

"How expensive will it be."

"60 pounds, I only bought one ticket though."

"You have enough money you can pay for it yourself.

"Alright."

~day the ship sails~

I get shaken awake by my mother. As I slowly wake up I can hear the telephone ringing from the kitchen.

"Jules get yourself out of bed already! I've made you a cuppa and the telephone is ringing!"
"How do you know it's ringing for me..?"

"Because nobody calls me on that phone I have my own, now get up and answer it before I break it slitherine's."

"Alright alright, I'm getting up. Give me a second."

She walks out the room and back into the kitchen.

Why would someone be calling me this early.

After I get dressed I walk out into the kitchen and sit at the table. My mother puts a cup of tea and a croissant.

"Eat up Jules, you don't want to be late for the ship."

The what-

I forgot about Titanic! If I had woken up earlier and gotten dressed quicker I would've had more time. I need to change my outfit because if you look like a scrub then they will move you to third class or accuse you of stealing tickets from someone else. And I still need to call my friend and see if his tickets came in the post too.

I get dressed and start to head to town square to get my tickets from the post box. I get my bicycle and ride there. On the way there I see my neighbors getting ready to head out for the ship. Most of them are packing all of their belongings because they are moving to new york. I'm just going on there for the pictures. If I get good enough pictures I can get a good grade for my photography class. As I'm getting closer to town square I see my friend also riding his bike.

"Charles!" I shout to try and get his attention

"Hey Jules! Getting your tickets too?"

"Yeah, we best be quick the ship sets off soon."

I go home and quickly pack random stuff into my bag because the ship sails in 20 minutes. I make sure I have my camera then walk out of my room. As I go out into the family room to say my goodbyes before I leave and my mother and older sister are waiting for me at the front door.

"Only one suitcase??" My mother says.
"Yeah.. I didn't have enough money for a ticket back so I figured I'd pack small and try to stay on the ship when everyone else leaves."