Chapter 9

March 6

Buffalo Sabres vs New York Islanders

Bailey was on the bench, sitting with the team like she has been for the past few months. She has enjoyed her time with the Islanders so far and being able to hang out with guys who have become some of her best friends.

The game was about to start, faceoff was at center ice. Mat for the Islanders and Jack Eichel for the Sabres were staring at the puck in the refs hands, waiting for it to fall. The Sabres won the faceoff and within a minute of play, they brought it up the ice and took a shot on Islanders Goaltender, Semyon Varlamov. That would be a goal for Jacob Bryson and the Buffalo Sabres.

Bailey sighed as the Islanders on the ice skated around with their heads down.

"Alright, boys, let's get one back!" Bailey yelled. "Unlucky,"

The rest of the first period was slow, with no more goals scored by either team. The boys went into the locker room with Bailey following for the intermission speech.

"Let's get some goals in the second period," Coach said, before ending his speech.

Bailey walked over to Mat.

"You're doing great," Bailey said.

"Thanks," Mat said.

"Score a goal for me, will ya?" Bailey asked.

"Will do," Mat told her, smiling.

Second period. Faceoff at center ice. Islanders win it. Pressure goes to the center and Buffalo brings it to the Islanders defense. Scott Mayfield got it and passed it up to Jordan Eberle, who let it up to Mat Barzal. Barzal with a breakaway. He sprints to the goal line, Rasmus Ristolainen for the Sabres defense couldn't keep up and toppled over. Barzal encounters the Sabres goaltender puts the puck between his legs and scores! The Islanders on the ice crowded around Mat giving him a hug. Smiles rested upon all of their faces as the score turned from 1-0 to 1-1 from an amazing goal by Mat Barzal.

Bailey hopped up from her seat as Mat scored.

"Holy shit!" Bailey said. "Did he just-"

"That was crazy, Barz!" Tito smiled as Mat skated to the bench.

"Hey, Bails," Mat called from the other side of the bench. "You liked that one, eh?"

"I loved it!" Bailey said. "You nailed it!"

Tito went on the ice along with Brock Nelson and Josh Bailey for forwards. He passed to Brock Nelson. Nelson took a shot. He scored! An assist by Beauvillier and a great goal by Brock Nelson! The Islanders on the ice skated to Nelson and crowded around him as the score turned from a tie to a lead.

Bailey hopped from her seat when she saw that goal.

"Let's go!" Bailey said.

Less than halfway through the second period, Cal Clutterbuck scored the third goal for the New York Islanders! They crowd around each other and hug again. The Sabres skate around, wondering how they let their lead turn behind now by two goals.

Before the end of the second period, Scott Mayfield shot another one in the net! The Islanders were down at the end of the first, now up by three goals in the second. Coach gave them a more motivating speech and to keep it up. He had a few critiques of play movements on what he saw and what he didn't see.

The third period came around and the Buffalo Sabres won the faceoff yet again. Once more, within a minute of play in the third period, the Buffalo Sabres scored. Less than a minute and a half later, Captain Anders Lee scored! The New York Islanders came out of the Nassau Coliseum with a win that night with their head up high. Bailey was happy to be able to spectate such an amazing game. She smiled at Mat as he came up to her.

"Good game, eh?" He smiled.

"It was a great game," Bailey said. "Great goal, too,"

Mat smiled.

"I learned from the best," He said.