Chapter 3 - Sybbie

As we walked into the graveyard I could sense my Papa holding his breath. I was so selfish! How could I not have thought about this before! I must be causing so much pain to father, making him show me the grave of his beloved wife. But there wasn't anything I could do, we were already there.

"My love, here is your uncle Matthew" said my father as he gestured to a grave near by. This was George's father. Papa told me that aunt Mary loved him so much as my parents loved each other. He died the day his son was born, as my mother died the day I was born. I didn't feel the teardrop fall from my eye until it reached my chin. "We were really good friends, he was a good man. The only one who wanted me there at the begining" Papa had told me how he had to adapt to the familly, how he used to be the choffer and how granfather didn't like him at all. This was very hard for me to belive, as anyone who met my father and grandfather, thought they were father and son.

I was so distracted by my thoughts that I did not hear my father calling from an other end of the graveyard. "Sybbie? This is your mother"

I thought my legs would start to run as fast as they possibly could, but instead they moved slowly and cautiously. As I aproched my mother's grave I saw my father's eyes go watery. I stared into the grave 'Lady Sybil Cora Branson' '08 June 1896 - 16 November 1920' 'Beloved wife, mother and daughter'

I fell to the floor and looked at my Papa. He hugged me as strongly as I wheeped into his showlder. "Darling, my love, don't you have something for your mother?" I placed the flowers next to her name, and saw that there were an other bunch next to them. "We used to have thoes flowers back at Dublin" answerd my father. He has answered my question without me having to say a single word. He knew me so well.

We sat there during the rest ot the morning. The three of us finally reunited. He told me the stories he used to tell me about her, when I could not get to sleep. He also told me new ones, ones he had been saving for today. He told me about the two of the escaoing one night to be married without no one else knowing, and how their plan was discovered by aunt Mary and aunt Edith.

Finally he told me about my birth. I could imagine he was crying, but when  I looked up from where my mother was resting, he was smiling. A tender smile, full of love.