Empty Space

"Damn it," Meredith cursed when the diaper bag fell down the stairs. She was carrying too many things in her arms. She picked up the bag and brought it to the foyer. She put nova in her car seat and ran back upstairs. She got her suitcase and went back downstairs.

Just as she was about to leave, Derek came in. They just looked at each other. She pushed pass him and got to the car. She came back in the house and Derek was still standing there. She reached for her suitcase but Derek stopped her.

"Don't touch me!" She said angrily. Derek moved his hand hers and put them in his pocket. He just looked down at his feet when she leaves the house again. Derek decided to chase after her.

"Meredith please," Derek pleaded as she opened the back of the car. She ignored him and puts her suitcase in. He turns her around to face him. Her eyes was full of anger and sadness.

"What?!" She said trying to pull back.

"Why are you running?" He asked not letting her go.

"I'm not ru-" She asked but was cut off.

POW POW

They heard with glass shattering. There were gunshots in the back window of the car. Derek pulled Meredith down so she doesn't get hit. He forgot that nova was in the car.

"Derek, nova" Meredith said startled. They went to the other side of the car and opened the door. nova was just laying there, laughing. Meredith and Derek looked at each other confused. Meredith knew exactly who did this.

"We have to go," She said closing nova's door. Just as she was about to get in the driver's seat, Derek stopped her.

"You can't leave," Derek said closing her door.

"I have to. It's just going to get worse," She said trying to open her door again.

"Let me at least go with you," He said.

"Derek no," She said not looking at him.

"Meredith..." He said but she cut him off.

"Fine whatever," She said.

Derek smiled slightly at her, she didn't smile back. He opened nova door and took her car seat out. Meredith got the bottom part for the car seat and brought it to Derek's car. He put the car seat in and went to the passenger side. He opened the door for her and closed it. He went to the driver's side and started the car.

They pulled out the driveway and headed to the airport. He was able to start a conversation but she turned on the radio. Forty-five minutes in the car ride, nova started crying. Meredith turned off the radio to tell Derek to pull over. He pulled over on the highway and Meredith got in the backseat.

He continued to drive and made it to the airport. He took the car seat out and got the bags. Derek was already planning to go to New York so he had tickets. Meredith was holding nova as they walked in the airport. He offered to carry her in the car seat because she didn't weigh much but she declined. They made it to boarding and gave the attendant the tickets.

"Enjoy your flight," The attendant said to both Meredith and Derek. The went to there seats, which were next to each other. Meredith groaned when he seated next to her. She gave nova to Derek and left to used the bathroom.

"Do you think your mama hates? I think your mama hates me," Derek said in a baby voice. He was about to say something else when an elderly woman came up to him.

"She is just adorable, how old is she?" The woman asked.

"She's almost 2 months," He said smiling.

"Is she yours?" She asked noticing that nova has colored skin.

"Um no, she's my girl- my ex- she's my bestfriend's," He said not knowing how to address Meredith.

"Oh, is your friend um black?" The women asked, whispering the word 'black'.

"No. You know I have to change her so if you would excuse me," Derek lied trying to get out the conversation. He got up from his seat and headed to the bathroom.

"Meredith, it's Derek," He whispered.

"What do you want?" She asked.

"Nova need to be changed," He said. She sighed and unlocked the door. He went in and laid nova on the changing table. Meredith went to the sink and washed her hands. While he was changing her, Meredith was looking at him through the mirror.

"I can feel you looking at me," He said with a smile.

"Give me my baby," She said as he pulled nova pants you. He gave her to her and they walked out the bathroom. They got to there seats and nova started fussing. Meredith asked Derek to get a blanket from the diaper bag. She draped the blanket over her and started breastfeeding nova.

They began to liftoff when her leg started shaking. Derek noticed and placed his hand on her knee. She flinched at first then relaxed. Nova fell asleep during her feeding so Meredith put her in the carrier that Derek had on. He strapped her in the carrier and leaned back in the seat.

Meredith eye were watching him the whole time. He's such a father to her and she loves him, she thought to herself. He opened his eyes to the feeling of someone watching him. His eyes met her's and smiled. She looked away and started shaking. She was afraid of planes since she was little. No one knew this, not even Cristina.

"Meredith?" Derek said snapping her out her thoughts. She turned her head and looked at him with tears in her eyes. He pulled her into his embrace and held her. She fell asleep not long after. He stayed awake for awhile watching movies.