one ~

"When sorrows come, they come not in single spies,

 but in Battalions." William Shakespeare - Hamlet

Looking down from the 27th floor, you could see the bustling streets of wisconsin, and blessed with thanksgivings festive cheer were its people. As some were out celebrating with friends, others sat at their dining table in their cozy fireplace-lit homes reciting their prayers, interlocked with beloved family.

But amidst and above the chaos of the towns euphoria, on the 27th floor of building C in the eighth block of Lawrence avenue, stood a girl, radiating wistfulness. Her heart, heavy and broken sat deeply in her chest. In her thin frayed sweater, which covered her burdened body peppered with bruises and scars. But with an even more burdened soul, bursting at the seams with sorrow and dispirit.

Her tearstained face looked down into the streets, eyes staring distantly off into the busy avenue. Aretha then screwed her eyes shut and took a deep breathe. She was somewhat relieved. It was finally ending. She was so desperate to fall to her bliss. She closed her eyes, drew in breathe, and plunged.

Falling or flying, she couldn't tell. But as the cold ground approached her, so did dear cold reality. She realized something. That every major problem in her life suddenly grew trivial as she fell. Seconds left. She didn't want to die. She opened her mouth to scream, but no sound came out.

And the moment that she had braced for her death, the moment she thought it was all over, was the moment she felt a pair of strong arms around her. They radiated safety and protection. Warmth and relief. Aretha curled up in them and clutched the coal t-shirt of the man, sobbing violently into his chest.

"You're okay now." He whispered.

And she believed it.

*

In a scenario where I'd fall to my death, I'd wake up screming and frantic. This time when I woke up panting, drenched in cold sweat and my heart racing. 

I've dreamt of dying three times this week, but this is the first it's it's ever ended like that.

In an empty house, I don't think anyone would've come to my rescue anyway. I simply lay back in bed, my body still shaking. My mind drowning.