three ~

Aretha's P.O.V 

With my beloved bottle of Bourbon in hand, I disappear into the bars store room, and then trudge my way up to the rooftop. Like I have done many times before this year. I sit down on the edge and dangle my legs over, taking another long sip before setting it down beside me. I close my eyes and take a deep breathe. The air is refreshing and cool, and it feels wondrous against my skin. However, I can hear thunder rumbling in the distance, and I only have an hour at the most before I am drenched. It severs my hope of staying up here until dawn. I pull out my phone and it reads October 12th, 9:12pm.

I continue with my deep breathing, trying to take in my certain blast from the past, who was probably dirty dancing with the strawberry blonde downstairs. I honestly don’t feel as overwhelmed as I thought I would be. But then again, this Bourbon is really good. Really, really good.

I just want to go home.

But then I realize my house is dead empty and I don’t quite know what I mean by the fact that I want go to home. That wretched place holds nothing but misery, a different type of melancholy in every room and hallway.  I soon find that tears I had yet to notice are travelling down my cheeks and I quickly wipe them away.

My luck must truly be terrible because I could’ve sworn it hadn’t even been twenty minutes before I hear the creaky metal rooftop door sway open. Again, I don’t need to turn around to know who it is.

“Was me leaving our lovely conversation downstairs not a big enough hint that I want to be left alone? Or are you just stupid?” I ask bitterly.

“No one truly ever wants to be completely alone Aretha. I had a feeling I’d find you hear. You always had a thing for high places.”

He walks over, sits down beside me and dangles his legs over the edge like I have. He takes my Bourbon, and raises it to his mouth.  

“This like half empty, me and you both know you’re too drunk to be up here.” He then looks down to the street below. “I’m honestly surprised you haven’t fallen yet.”

“Let’s pretend only one of us knows.” I mutter.

Luke’s P.O.V

We sit there for a while, and I know I’m not showing it but I’ve honestly never been so shocked in my life. The Aretha I left behind four years ago was sarcastic, and mean, but had an unquenchable wanderlust and love for life. She was so bright and beautiful. Now the only brightness left was the brightness of her dark circled eyes, and even they cried out for help. Her skin was pale and I could see her wrist bones protrude as her fragile hands clutched the Bourbon, as if her life depended on it. My soul grew heavier as I continued to sit there with her. Guilt began to stir inside me as I sat there, wondering whether she would still be like this if I had stayed.

I could see her eyes begin to droop, and the smell of rain began to approach.  She laid her head on shoulder. The gesture surprised me but I embraced it nonetheless, and moved closer.

It was awhile before she spoke again.

“Where have you been, Luke?” she asks softly.

“Much too far away from you.”

I shift so that my body is facing hers. Fearing for her safety, I pull her closer into me, resting her head on my chest. I half expect her to fight back but she doesn’t, maybe due to the fact that she is drunk out of her mind and much too tired to move, let alone have enough energy to push me away and come up with some witty insult for me as she does. My hands brush her wrists and they are rough, with the sole illumination of nothing but the full moon and the streetlights, I notice the clean but deep cuts on them. Some are fresh and some are freshly healed.

I can feel a tear escape me and I screw my eyes shut, my voice is hoarse as I say it.

“Who did this to you, my little Seraph?”

Aretha’s P.O.V

I’m sure he thinks I’ve fallen asleep. But I haven’t. I can hear him. I’m aware of what’s going on but my body suffers from complete exhaustion. I am literally unable to move because of how much I have drained myself.

Oh Lucifer, I did it to myself.’ I try to say. But my mouth makes no sound, and I begin to feel cold droplets on my face.