Chapter Nineteen: Unknowing

It's a peaceful Monday evening. The sky is full of stars and there's a glorious full moon. Larry is in his kitchen cooking up some Italian sausage that he plans to mix with delectable cheeses and herbs for a batch of stuffed mushrooms though he hasn't quite decided on what his entree will be. He and Laurent have a lot of work over the next several weeks and they took a zoom call earlier in the day with the designer for the fashion show they were just in as he wants them to be a part of another one. Larry couldn't pretend he didn't see Laurent's eyes locked on him for nearly the entire call but since he was serious about getting their brotherhood back he looks at him and smiles this time instead of avoiding him. Laurent smiles too. Even the designer catches a glimpse of the sweet interaction so he stops mid sentence to watch and smiles himself. It eventually got back to their discussion and the call ended with the three of them in agreement that they will meet face to face within the coming weeks, but they did get off to a good start on the call. He takes a look at the time and notices that it's twenty minutes before Malik gets off work and he plans to call him to see how his day was. But, he won't get the chance to because his phone rings. He picks it up and he's surprised to see that Malik is calling him first and he quickly answers...

Larry: *smile* "Hey".

Malik: *smile* "Hey babe".

Larry can hear his smile through the phone, but he also notices that his voice isn't as perky as it usually is...

Larry: "Is something wrong"?

Malik: "It's just been an exhausting day. I came home, but today was so crazy that I just want to be with you so can I come and stay the night"?

Larry: *smile* "Yes", he replies sweetly. 

Malik: *smile* "Perfect. I'm just going to pack a bag and I'll be there shortly".

Larry: *smile* "I can't wait".

Malik: *smile* "See you soon".

When they release the call Larry realizes that his stuffed mushrooms aren't for vegetarians but since he's already cooked the sausage he decides to stuff half of the mushrooms with the sausage filling for him and make meat free mushrooms for Malik which should still be delicious because of the gooey cheeses. The entree will also be meat free as Larry decided on a pasta primavera with bright, colorful veggies consisting of zucchini, yellow squash, cherry tomatoes, broccoli and fresh herbs to be sauteed in a rich heavy cream and when it's all pulled together it will be topped with some freshly grated parmesan cheese. This will be the first time he's ever cooked for Malik and he's excited, but also a bit nervous as Malik is a cook himself and a pretty darn good one. The mushrooms go in the oven then after setting a large pot of water on the stove to begin boiling he begins slicing the vegetables. Minutes later the door bell rings so he smiles, drops the knife then heads over to it. Llama isn't far behind and is waiting to see who the guest is. Larry opens the door and Malik's head is lowered with his hand clasped to the back of his neck as he massages it a bit. Larry can see the exhaustion in his eyes, but even in his exhaustion that doesn't stop him from flashing that smile at Larry the instant he sets his eyes on him. Larry thinks to himself that he needs to take over the massage later, but for now he steps inside and Larry takes his face in his hands to bring him in for a sweet kiss. They hug and that's when Malik feels something on his leg. They look down and there's Llama on her hind legs with her paws on Malik's leg and looking up at him with her tail happily wagging. He chuckles and bends down to pick her up then Larry takes the duffel bag off his shoulders before sweetly instructing him to take a seat on the couch where he joins him...

Larry: "Tell me about your day", he says softly.

Malik: *soft sigh* "A dog got hit by a car this morning and her owner rushed in crying and pleading for our help. Turns out she was taking her for a walk and the dog pulled away so hard that the leash was yanked from her hand. She entered the street to chase after another dog, but the oncoming car couldn't stop in time. She was so scared that it took two of my nurses to sit with her and calm her down while I took the dog for X-rays then the operating room for emergency surgery".