five

"So, this man, Harry, is some insane guy who doesn't talk and can't be seen?" A laugh erupts from her mouth, and I find myself wanting to slap her across the face for the fifteenth time since I started explaining this whole story.

        "No, and you're irritating," another laugh, and this time I literally shove her off the stool just beside me. She attempts to shove me as well, but I'm already sitting on the floor, curling my hair, so it's quite easy to just re-balance myself. "Harry, or whatever the hell his name is, was accused of stuff apparently, Jahred doesn't know for sure."

        "Wait, you only asked Jahred?"

        "I don't exactly have anyone else to ask." I point out.

        "What about Penelope? You befriended her, didn't you?" Does she not get this?

        "Oh, yes. I'll ask her today! 'So, do explain how you accused someone of threatening you, but also explain why he's still working at your own father's company? I heard you're just a drama queen, explain that too!" Sarcasm is laced in my voice, and I know she senses it. Finally.

        "Oh."

        "Oh," I repeat.

        "Wait, so threatened how? And why?"

        The questions are back, and there is absolutely no sugarcoating. Lucy's one to get straight to it, and she speaks her mind an awful lot. These are my favorite and most difficult to deal with characteristics, but they happen to make up Lucy Gaunt, my best friend. Even her name is perfect, honestly.

        "Not sure how. And because he apparently assaulted her, I think is what he said. Maybe raped. I really don't remember." The topic is extremely insane for me to talk about minutes before I leave to go to the place all this happened. Well, supposedly happened.

        "Hopefully, I won't have to use your car after today. I called a mechanic, and they said they should be here soon." I unplug the curling iron and grab my bag, putting it beside me on the bed while I slip on my shoes. "Thank you again. Oh, and do tell Jahred I said thank you!"

        With a hug, I begin out of the room, grabbing her keys and opening the front door, about to exit when-

        "Jahred?" I hear a Lucy smirk tied into her tone, mocking me. Shit, I did say Jahred, didn't I?

        "Jace. I meant Jace!"

        The entire car ride there, I mentally slap myself at my earlier slip. You know, like when you do something that nobody else really thinks about, but you're extremely embarrassed nevertheless, and it haunts you for  long time? Well, that's what I just so happened to feel. And stupidity. Surely, she must think I have something going on for Jahred. I mean, he is extremely attractive, but would I ever see him as anything more than that?

        The never-ending conversation inside my head distracted me, and I forgot to pick up my coffee. Of course I did.

        The building seems much larger when alone in a small car, and I momentarily forget how crowded the parking lot was. I should definitely arrange to leave a little earlier so I can actually find a decent spot, because walking a good seven minutes just to get to the front door isn't really in my favor. Seven minutes. What time is it?

        10:22. Oh, I thought it was a little earlier.

        I was planning to look around for Penelope or Jahred or Niall or something, just to do it, but I'm too focused on getting to the third floor, and to my office to keep my eyes anywhere but my feet.