Chapter 48

ℤ𝕒𝕟𝕖

"Well," Kieran says, "you know I'm always down for a crazy plan."

"What about you, Ava?" Kami asks. "Ultimately, this comes down to you and Z... and I guess Morgan, too, since he needs to protect you if things go wrong."

"I'm open." Ava bites her lip anxiously as she turns to me. "I think we should discuss it, but I trust you all to keep me safe."

Kami turns to me and then back to Morgan.

"What about you two?" she asks. "You're both awfully quiet."

"No," I say. For a moment, I think there's an echo, but I realize that I've spoken in time with Morgan.

I'm surprised. I expected him to say yes.

"This plan is insane," he says. "My job is to protect Ava, and this idea does the opposite of that."

"You don't think you can do it?" Kami asks.

"Of course I can do it. But there has to be another solution, preferably one that doesn't involve putting Ava in the crossfire."

"Really?" Ava asks. "Why does everyone think I can't handle this? I know I'm human and all, but I'm not as incapable as you think. I trust you all, but you don't trust me."

She crosses her arms over her chest and pouts, with an expression that is equal parts hurt and furious.

"It's not that we don't trust you," I say. "But the risk is just too high. And even if nothing went wrong, we'd have to treat you like property, and I can't do that."

"You guys always underestimate me."

"I'm not underestimating you, love. If anything, you're overestimating me. You're overestimating my ability to risk you, hurt you—to live without you."

Her eyes soften and she sighs.

"Can you at least think about it?"

I reluctantly agree and excuse myself to the garden for a bit of fresh air.

What if something goes wrong?

What if she gets hurt?

Could I really pretend that she is nothing to me?

I hear the door creak behind me. Ava must have followed to check up on me.

Without a word, someone appears beside me, but it's not her—it's Morgan.

"Did they already change your mind?" I ask, shoving my hands into the pockets of my jeans.

"Not them... she did."

"Ava?"

"Yeah. She's right. That girl may not have any powers, but she might just be stronger than all of us."

"She deals with a lot," I say with a sigh.

"Can you feel it through your bond? All the pain she deals with?"

"I can." I run my hands through my hair and take a deep breath in. "I can tune it out more now. It doesn't hurt me like it hurts her."

"You wouldn't know by looking at her. She hides it well. You two are alike in that way."

"What do you mean?"

"She hides her pain, you hide your feelings. You are the Iron Siren, are you not?"

"So you found out about that, did you?"

"It's funny, really. You're known for suppressing your emotions, yet I certainly struggle to control them when I channel you. Sirens feel very everything more intensely."