𝐼 𝑓𝑒𝑒𝑙 𝑠𝑜 𝑎𝑙𝑜𝑛𝑒~

TW: Public panic attack, trauma, separation anxiety, bullying, domestic violence

"I'm gonna have to move Darwin down a grade."

That's what Gumball and Darwin heard from their principal about 2 days ago.
A few years ago, Gumball managed to convince Principal Brown to let Darwin skip a grade. Apparently, his grades have been failing because of this and moving him back down was the only solution.

Gumball tried everything he could to change his mind. Practically throwing a tantrum. Darwin, on the other hand, was relatively quiet the entire time.

"Can you believe Principal Brown wants to tear us apart? It's an INJUSTICE! IT'S CRUEL! IT' A VIOLATION OF EVERY AMENDMENT ON THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE!"

Gumball began to scratch the door of his Principal as he yelled. He heard an annoyed yell from the other side.

"Get to class, Watterson!"

Gumball sighed and began to watch to class with Darwin. "Dude, why didn't you say anything?"

Darwin mumbled something as he looked to the ground. Gumball picked up exactly what was going on.

"Awww, is somebody worried he's gonna miss his big brother?" Gumball said this as if he were talking to a baby while nudging him. Darwin started to giggle.

"Dude, stop that." Darwin said playfully before giggling some more. "I guess I've just never been away from you for a whole day before... what if I can't handle it?"

"Don't worry, lil bro." Gumball ruffled the younger brothers hair which he does not have just don't question it. "I'm sure you're gonna be just fine.

And with that, the boys made it to their last class together.

The next day, Gumball was sitting down watching TV while waiting for his brother to come home. He heard the door creak open followed by some loud footsteps. Before he even got the time to greet him, he felt something suddenly grabbing onto him and hugging him tightly.

"Woah!" He exclaimed out of shock. He was heartbroken to look down and see his brother hugging him, crying his eyes out.

"Buddy? Hey, w-what happened? Don't worry, I've got you." Gumball hugged him back, rubbing his head.

Darwin was so upset and choked on his own tears that he couldn't even manage to get a word out. Gumball carried him upstairs, wrapped him in a blanket, and stroked his head until he calmed down. Eventually he took a deep breath.

"You ready to tell me what's wrong now, buddy?" Gumball asked in a soft voice.

"My- my separation anxiety is r-really bad." Darwin muttered, his voice extremely weak and breaking.

"Yeah..?"

"And t-today, you know, without you it seemed... I just..."

"C'mon, dude, spit it out. I'm your brother, you can tell me any-"

Before he could even finish his sentence, Darwin clung on to him.

"I had a panic attack!" Darwin sobbed into Gumball's sweater. "I-it was at the end at recess, I just couldn't help it! I just started thinking really mean things about myself a-and getting bad memories and-"

Darwin couldn't speak anymore. He sobbed as hard as he could as he hugged Gumball tight, never wanting to let go.

Gumball's eyes grew wide at this confession. He knew Darwin got panic attacks, but never before had he had one in public. Every time he was about to, Gumball was always right next to him to calm him down, or at least take him someplace where no one would see him. Gumball felt awful that he couldn't protect him this time. Awful as if it was his fault, despite having absolutely no control over the situation.