Chapter 5

It seemed like the perfect utopia. There were humanoids of all skins, hair, and eye colors, and of all shapes and sizes. Beasts of all types walked in sync with their human counterparts. They seemed like either pets or citizens themselves. I could only imagine the look on my face because Kaiko laughed at me.

        "Put your head down, alien." 

        I looked down at the ground, following Nayla's boots. I had to remember that I was not welcome here.  I was an outsider. Apparently, a dangerous outsider. Small creatures the size of chickens crossed my path. They looked like little dinosaurs, but much more colorful than what I imagined dinosaurs to be. Kaiko's hand was on my back. His grip felt more protective than guiding. My skin crawled at the realization that I needed protection. I wondered if they used guns, or if weapons were allowed to the common citizen. I doubted it. 

        I was lead across the city, directly in tow of Kaiko. The heat and light from the sun began to dim as we walked underneath a shelter. We came upon a pair of dark boots. I could feel my heart race.

        "Plyoh." Nayla requested with a quiet whisper.

        Without word, a jar of spices was traded from the hands of Nayla to the hands of a citizen with blue skin, like Kaiko's. The trader inconspiculously slipped a vile of liquid and a needle into Nayla's hands. This was an underground trade — the black market.

        Kaiko led me away quickly. Nayla must have fallen in step behind him. A smell that could not have been released from anything but a beast filled my nose. I could hear water running and animals stomping. We were approaching a resting area for the steeds. Kaiko led me between two large scaly cows. They grunted as we invaded their space. I watched Kaiko's feet move close to the front of one of the animals. The animal snorted. Kaiko pacified the beast sweetly. I thought he was lifting my arm to pet the animal. Instead, he lodged the needle into my bicep. My body went rigid and I winced in pain.

"Shh," I could feel him wrap around me, like a murderer pacifying a choking victim. "I'm sorry, I know that hurts." He whispered closely to my ear. His words were like a morphine, easing away the pain.

"But, now you look like one of us." He reassured me as I uncoiled and he withdrew the needle. He threw my cloak off of my head and the light poured into my eyes. When they adjusted, my eyes fixed on Kaiko's brilliant smile. Nayla admired me from behind him.

"What?" I asked, almost offended. Why were they looking at me like that?

Nayla stepped forward and grabbed me by the arm. She led me to a water basin. "See for yourself." She pointed at the water.

I gave her a apprehensive look then peered into the water.

I looked like a mermaid.

I guess it was a good thing my hair was red, that part didn't have to be changed. My skin looked like a lake was streaming underneath it. The watery-green that flowed in the pigment of my skin glinted in the sun. I absentmindedly reached up to my face. It felt like my skin. It was magnificent. I looked like something from a movie. It was almost beautiful. I heard Nayla and Kaiko laugh.

I looked straight at Kaiko. "What did you do to me?"

"It's called Plyoh." Nayla answered. "Strictly illegal. Taken from sitah plants. The natives used it back in the times of war to disguise themselves as Kingdom warriors. It excretes through your skin when it comes in contact with water. So, you can wash it off in the river."

I examined my skin. It felt no different than it had before the injection. What a sneaky trick. Maybe my possible "people" were much more clever than given credit. "So, there could be natives in high order and they wouldn't know it?"

"They would know." Kaiko replied.

"How?"

"Annick has his ways."

        "We would like to speak with Annick, please?" Kaiko inquired. 

        The oddly shaped guard grunted and I followed Kaiko and Nayla through a set of large doors and into a clean building with way too many stairs. It was like walking into a castle. I could tell just by standing in the grand room that the complex had many wings and many uses. We walked up a grand staircase onto the second floor. Directly in the middle of the second floor was a wide double door guarded by figures in cloaks. The servant grunted language to the guards and the figures opened the large doors.

        An uncomfortable feeling crawled up my spine when we walked into the room. Behind the desk, a figure sat in a chair. Standing in all corners of the room were thick-skinned creatures. They were humanoids with ugly faces and strong bodies. Their skin seemed to be made of very closely compacted molten lava. That was when I remembered Kaiko saying something about these ugly men being born from a volcano. What did he call them?

        "Sir," one of the spoke in a grueling, deep voice. "You have visitors."

        The figure in the chair spun around. If I didn't think this guy was dangerous he could have been specktacular. His eyes were a captivating, almost glowing silver. He was a long creature with gangly limbs that ended with short claws. His skin was the color of coal and the longer I looked at it, the more it looked like his skin moved. The black coloration resembled marble. His ears were tall and pointed like a fox. They held back his long, grey hair. He almost reminded me of an evil wizard from a video game. Even with his gaunt, gangly body, his facial features were strong and sharp — almost handsome. He stood up from his chair; a long robe hung from his nearly seven-foot body.

        "Annick," Kaiko lowered his head as he addressed his ruler. His mother copied the gesture. He nudged me sharply, and with an appalled look, I followed suit. The leader bowed his head, but with a sort of pride that made my blood boil. Typical teenager — I already hated him and I hadn't even heard him speak. 

        "For what do you come for?" his voice took my by suprise. It was very smooth, like silk.

        "The Citizenship Test, sir." Kaiko stated lightly. He put his hand on my shoulder, "for my friend." Annick looked over with the kind of disappointed look one would get from an in-law.

        "Name?" He asked.       

        I had to quickly come up with something that sounded Calamexian.  "Chaya."

        Out of the corner of my eyes, I could see Kaiko shift uncomfortably. Annick looked me over. His eyes oddly softened. My stomach turned as he began to make his way toward me. As he approached me, I noted flecks of color in his skin. It made sense now that his skin was black. Eyan energy was based on color, right? All the colors combined made black. All the Eyan energy combined was black. As he stood only inches away, I noticed the strangest thing about Annick — how good he smelled. 

"I feel the need to question your loyalty. Is this irrational?" He asked me softly, gently.

"Very irrational, sir." I stated as frankly and monotonous as I could.

"Annick searched my eyes for a moment. It felt like he was searching for a lie he would never find. I was a young woman — I was pro at lying. Annick's gangly hand rose softly to my face. My automatic reaction would have been to move away sharply, but before my reaction could even be processed, Annick crooned, "You are far too lovely to be savage, am I correct?"

I wasn't sure which one actually made me shiver, his freezing cold hand on my cheek or the chill his compliment gave me. Kaiko noticed my discomfort and interrupted, "Sir, her loyalties lie to the Kingdom I can assure you."

Annick dropped his icicle from my face and backed away. My comfort returned with every inch he retreated. It seemed an eternity before he replied with a wicked smile, "Good."

The gangly, coal-skinned, silver-eyed creature snapped his claws and one of his servants on the far end of the room stepped forward. "Prepare the arena. Tomorrow, we shall admimister the Test."

"Tomorrow, sir," Kaiko exclaimed. He quickly reconcealed his panic. "Sir, usually there is a much longer training period. Why so quickly?"

Annick's responding grin send shivers down my lake skin. His deep, silky voice lightly replied as his eyes sliced through the cloak Kaiko lent me. "Then, I would prepare."