Chapter 1

“Saige,” my grandfather called from downstairs in the kitchen, “you’ve got thirty minutes.”

            “Hang on a second,” I called from my room. I gathered my long red hair at the top of my head then spun it and secured it in a bun. Little waves of hair framed my fair-skinned face. There was no hope of pinning them back so I just left them there. I looked myself over in the mirror. My uniform was all in check. The turquoise shirt read in white letters across the front, Lowlands Coast Marine Wildlife Center. Then, across the back in large letters read, STAFF. My white khaki shorts barley reached halfway to my knee. This was my dream job. I had loved marine animals since I was a little girl. The last thing I grabbed before walking down the stairs was the rope bracelet with a wooden relief of a poorly made whale weaved into it – my most prized possession.

            I galloped down the stairs and into the kitchen where Grandmother sat and stared out the window. I cracked a pitiful smile and walked over and kissed her white hair. She continued to stare blankly out the window. She had been that way as long as I could remember. I hurt for poor Granddaddy.

            “Come on, baby girl, you need to get going!” Granddaddy rushed me out toward the door, “the sea tigers await!”

            I laughed at him, “Sea lions, Granddaddy.”

            His eyes twinkled underneath his thick glasses and he rubbed his bald head, “Sea lions, right. Now, go on!” He opened the door as I slipped my shoes on.

            “I love you,” I called as I slipped out.

            “I love you, too,” he replied with a smile. My grandparents were wonderful people. I wish I known my parents.

            I bet they were wonderful, too.

            I rolled into the parking lot of the wildlife center. I could hear the seals barking from outside and I could hear the distant crash of the waves from the shore only a couple miles away. The smell of salt filled the air. Climbing the stairs to the front door brought me just as much joy as it had three months ago when I first started working there. I spotted my partner, Alex, at the desk as I walked in. The lobby was a small, clean, white room. Pictures of the coast and various marine animals hung around the room. It almost looked like a small hospital lobby with the two swinging doors that led to the labs and holding tanks. Alex was standing over the shoulder of the secretary, Emily, pointing to the computer.

            “See, that’s where we found him, but his family has moved more toward the mouth of the cove,” Alex moved his finger across the screen as Emily’s eyes followed.

            “You don’t think,” she started as I walked up.

            “What’s going on?” I asked when I reached the counter.

            Alex looked up at me, “I think Charlie’s family might have ended up in river systems at the end of one of the coves and he won’t be able to find them.”

            “Well, I’ll go check it out,” I offered.

            “Are you sure?” Alex asked, “You would have to go alone. I have to stay and feed.”

            “No, I don’t mind. I’ll grab my wetsuit and a radio and check it out, alright?” I patted the desk then turned to make my way to the staff’s equipment storage on the far side of the room. I unlocked the door, slipped inside, found the navy and green wet suit that read, Saige on the front tag, and an oxygen tank. I stripped out of my uniform and slipped the bare wetsuit on. I would attach the breathing apparatus when I got there. I grabbed my pack out of my locker and stuffed my uniform inside, then slipped back out the door.

            “You change fast,” Emily noted as I made my way back to the desk.

            “My grandfather would say the opposite,” I smiled adjusting the bag off my shoulder. “Do you have a radio?”

            “Yeah,” Emily stood and walked in the small office behind her and out of a box beside the door, pulled out two radios. She came back out and tossed one of them to me and the other to Alex, who still stood at the desk looking at Charlie’s files. “Channel six,” she told us as my radio landed in my hand.

            I turned to the designated channel and tossed the small contraption into my backpack. “I’ll be back in an hour tops,” I promised as I made my way out the door.

            “I’m headed toward the Lowlands. Which cove was the herd headed into?” I clicked the radio.

            “I don’t believe they’ve gotten too far. Check the reserves first.” Alex’s voice came through the radio.

            “Copy that.”

            As I approached the cove I noticed a fence with a sign saying – Lowlands Wildlife Reserve: Trespassers Will Face Punishment. I pressed the button on my radio, “Alex, are we trespassers?”

            “Do you have your staff I.D. on you?” the static voice calmly replied.

            “I think it’s at the center.”

            “Then, don’t get caught.”

            “Copy that,” I radioed back as I threw my breathing apparatus around me and trekked toward the fence. I realized I would have to jump it. There was no way I could throw my equipment over so I strapped it tight to me and started up the fence. I climbed my entire length up the fence before I had to toss my leg over the top.

            Then, I heard beeping and cursed under my breath. I picked up speed and swiftly leaped off the fence. I quickened my pace and began fooling with my gear. My entire breathing apparatus and tank was ready to roll by the time I reached the shore. I would get as much done before the law enforcement came as possible.

            “We might have some visitors. The fence had a motion sensor. I’m going under.” I radioed and before Alex could stop me, I was under water.

            The land under water is a whole different world. Everything moved smoothed, slower. My heart rate slowed and I felt peace. Time stopped. Only around twelve feet from shore, the bed dropped off around 60 feet and the whole cove looked like a grand valley. Over two miles in diameter and over seven-hundred feet deep in the deepest parts, this was a grand cove and a haven for wildlife. Most of the cove was also in the light zone which was a huge advantage for me because I could see pretty far through the crystal blue water. I had yet to see any manatees, however. Charlie’s family was nowhere in sight. I decided to swim lower, closer to the floor of the cove.

            Something shiny caught my eye.

            I started to swim closer, down into a spring in the water. I noticed the shining was more than one color. It was several different colors together and it wasn’t actually shining, but different colors sprouting out life solar flares. This was unlike anything I’d ever seen. I swam deeper and closer to the object, until I was within touching distance. It was remarkable. It was a small, glowing white ball. The ball was about the size of a softball. All around it splashes of red, yellow, purple, green, and blue sparked out of the glowing object. All I knew was I had to touch it. I reached my hand toward the ball and the strangest thing happened. A spark leaped out and pricked me.

            Then, it got angry.

            Suddenly, the sparks started to dart all around me and prick every inch of my body. Bubbles frenzied around me as I screamed in agony. I couldn’t see anything but the flares of deadly colors. They began to multiply and enclose my whole body. The ocean began to fade into a screen of light strips. The gorgeous colors of the cove began to fade. Everything got brighter.

            Then, it all went black.