Sherri

"Hello?!" I yelled into the phone.

   "Sorry, you've reached Fisher. Call me back or leave a message. Thanks!"

Vociemail. Vociemail! It went to voicemail!

   I threw the phone across the room. It hit my wood dresser and literally blew up! The impact must have been hard then I expected.  Opps.

   Just then I heard footsteps coming towords my room. I layed down and curled up in a ball on my bed and covered my head with my light blue covers.
Crack...

   The door cracked open and someone stepped in. What did they not understand about the "STAY OUT!" poster hanging on the outside of my door.

   "Sweetie?" It was my step-mom Sherri.

When I was 6, my mom died in a car crash and my dad was seriously injured. My dad was put into a 6 month coma and never walked again. When I turned 9 my dad and Sherri got married. She always acted like my real mom. I don't really remember my mom, I only remember her threw pictures and old stories.

I threw a pillow at her, my head still under the covers, and missed.

   "Mac, what's wrong?" She picked up the pillow which rested a few feet away from her feet and walked towords my bed.

   "What makes you think anything is wrong?" My words were muffled but, understandable.

   "Sweetie," she sat down on my bed and pulled the covers down just enough to see my face. "Your book isn't unpacked from your bag yet and well, your phone is in a million pieces." She sent a smile my way.

   "Just leave. Please." I pulled the covers back up over my face.

      Sherri stood up. "Well, if you need me or to your father, we are just a few steps away. Okay?"

   "Okay." My level of annoyance was going to blow if she didn't leave soon.

   "Okay." She smiled. I uncovered my head.

   "Stop flirting with me!-Augustus Waters."

   We both burst into laughter.

   "I knew that was coming!" She smiled.

   "I use that one too much!"  I smiled back and let out another laugh. "Thanks Sherri."

    "No problem!"

   "Sherri! Help!" I heard me dad yell from the other room. Sherri ran out the door and I followed.

   "Dad!" I ran to his side. He had fallen out of his wheelchair and onto the floor.

   "Are you hurt?" Sherri asked.

   "No, not really. My face hurts tho." Sherri grabbed him and I helped. We lifted him into his wheelchair.

   "Mac, go grab an icepack from the freezer." I did so. When I returned to my father and Sherri, Sherri took the ice pack from my hand and placed it against my father's nose. "Thank you Mac. Do you have any homework?" Sherri asked me.

   "Yeah. I'll go do my homework but, before I do... what happened dad? How did you fall?" The room went quite and I swear I could hear people in China.

   "It doesn't matter. All that matters is that I'm not hurt!" Sherri looked down at him and removed and held up the ice pack. "Seriously hurt!" He winked at me and we all started chuckling.

   After a couple of minutes, I left the room to go do my "homework". I had lied to Sherri, as I often do to hide the fact that I was upset over a boy. I walked over to the computer sitting on my table and swung open the lid and typed in the password. I quickly brought up the phone company and I ordered a new phone with a sea foam green case. I shut the lid and walked over to the pile of phone and found the memory card. Luckily it wasn't destroyed.  I set it on the top of my dresser and layed on my bed.

   Only seconds after I layed down, did I feel the hot, salty tear roll down my cheek. I didn't bother to wipe it away. In a matter of seconds, another tear followed by one on the other side. I cryed myself to sleep that night, only dreaming of the boy in blue.