Ghost World

"As a long-time member of the Historical Society, I am especially proud to be kicking off this day of festivities," Carol Lockwood said from the makeshift stage in Town Square. "Tonight, we turn off our town's lights and flare up our lanterns in honor of the Night of Illumination started by our Founders 150 years ago. Here's our newest member of the Historical Society, founding family member Abigail Gilbert with a history lesson."

"Thank you, Mayor." She looked out into the crowd of people hanging lanterns from trees and off of the sides of buildings to see most of them looking back at her. "The first illumination was held in celebration with the newfound prosperity that Mystic Falls enjoyed after the war. The Founders placed lanterns over their doors to indicate that it was safe for their neighbors to come outside again."

When she spotted Alaric, the corners of his mouth were turned upward and his eyes were crinkled at the edges. It wasn't the wide smile he gave her just before a laugh, but rather the one she found when she looked at him over her shoulder. The one that, no matter where they were, was meant just for her.

"That night was an opportunity for the community of Mystic Falls to come together, a chance to strengthen ties with neighbors. Tonight we have that same opportunity..."

Caroline and Bonnie were waiting for her down by her family's building, hanging lanterns from the trees in front of it. It was strange to walk up to Bonnie knowing that they hadn't actually had a conversation since she turned, since she found out about Alaric. But if she knew her, and she did, she knew that she would just act like she didn't know until she couldn't.

"So, Jeremy has a direct line to the Other Side, and as long as he wants to see Anna and she wants to see him, she's still here." Bonnie passed her a lantern. "But I blocked the magic that was helping Vicki get a physical foothold so you shouldn't have to worry about anyone blowing up any more of the cars you are getting into."

She hung the lantern over the locked door to her father's office. "Thank you."

Caroline spun around to face them. "You don't think I can actually resist commenting on that."

"There. You commented."

"Bonnie..."

Abigail jumped down from the fourth step of the ladder. "Timing, Caroline, timing."

"I'm sorry!"

"What do you want me to say, Caroline?" Bonnie scoffed, shaking her head. "I went against the balance of nature when I brought Jeremy back to life, and now I'm paying the price."

"I," she started, "want you to say you're not okay with it."

"I'm a thousand times not okay with it. I just don't know what to do about it."

Damon pulled up in front of them, leaning over the side of the door as soon as his car was at a stop. "Greetings. Witchy, I think you got your voodoo wires all crossed when you got rid of Vicki Donovan."

"What do you mean?" She stepped to the edge of the sidewalk. "Why?"

"Because I'm pretty sure I just got spit-roasted by Mason Lockwood's ghost."

Abigail narrowed her eyes at him. "And why would you think that?"

"Maybe because he chained me to a chair and shoved a hot poker in my chest." He winced. "Let's just say I'm having déjà vu."

"I thought you said that ghosts couldn't physically interact with people."

"They can't."

"Yeah, well, I don't have time for a vengeful Lockwood." He gripped onto the steering wheel. "When I kill someone, they're supposed to stay dead. Whatever you screwed up, fix it."