Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

The air was thick and cold. The sounds of screams and cries for help could be heard all around me. I could only see what is just around me and I could not see the people who cried desperately. I looked down to the floor and saw mud mixed with fresh blood. I scoffed in disguised as I moved back slightly. It was like a slug from the sewers. Thankfully I could not smell it. I looked up and I could see everything clearly and stood in front of me was the Seer. 

I jumped from my bed, gasping for air. Sweat covered my body from the hot air. I trembled slightly as I quickly convinced myself it was a nightmare. A nightmare cannot harm me. It does not foresee the future. Gunnar quickly came into the tent and nodded humbly. 

“Forgive me for disturbing, we have a visitor.” 

A Viking general has come to pay us a visit. Hvitserk was already up before me (like always). People cleared a path for me to see this general. Hvitserk turned with a smile and gently held out his hand.

“This is my beautiful wife, Anah…” Hvitserk said, “My love, this is General Cnut…”

I nodded my head gently, “Queen Anah, I come in peace…” said Cnut. He was humble and he had humble eyes. He was elderly, but he could pass for Hvitserk age.

“You are most welcome!” I said. “I’ve heard rumors of a great army and I’m in wonderous to stand before it...” Cnut said. “I’ve also heard of your exploits and I’m marveled by it.” I smiled gently. My name is becoming known.

“A woman general…” he sighed, happily.

“I have to admit it is quite a challenge…” I said. 

“No doubt you execute it with grace,” he turned slightly to Hvitserk, “Which is why I want to join your quest.” 

“We would be honored to have you…” Hvitserk said. “I must warn you there are Christians in this army as well, but we are all equal.” 

“I would love to see these half-Christians in action!” 

His expression turned worrisome, “Now, I come to bring you concerning news…” I leaned in slightly to hear.

“There is a large English army coming your way…” Cnut said. I looked over to Hvitserk who seemed concerned but unafraid.

“They’ve heard of your exploits and they are willing to do anything to stop your raid…” Cnut said.

“Anah…” Hvitserk said, pulling me aside. “We have gone has far as we can go, we can just turn back.” 

“And what?” I hissed, “Have four different families live under one roof?” “This isn’t about us anymore.” I turned to the army and realized something.

“I have an idea…” I turned to Cnut and Gunnar. 

“Would you two take orders from a woman?” I asked.

“It would be my honor!” Cnut said, placing his hand on his heart.

“We can split the army up….” I said.

“Split the army up, love?” Hvitserk questioned. 

“Yes, I’ll take one half through the mountain pass, and Hvitserk can take the Wessex army…”

“That way the army is not so large and we won’t seem as threatening.”

“Clever idea,” Cnut said, “But, uh, will they still see the Pagans…” 

“Oh, please…” I sneered, “They are Christians, as long as you go in with a happy face they won’t know anything!” Cnut and Gunnar laughed, I turned to Hvitserk who smiled brightly.