repeat

"You're repeating yourself. I get it." Mace was tired of hearing me say we'd be okay. I felt as if he needed to be reminded. I don't know. I guess I'm stupid for telling him something I don't know is true. We're not okay. No where near okay. Okay means good. We are certainly not good.

Mace and I have been together for at least 4 or 5 years. A long time. Things unfortunately started falling apart about 2 or 3 weeks ago when his dad had got in a car crash and his mom had killed herself. They didn't care about Mace at all. It kept us up the nights we'd talk. These nights occurred often. His parents would get drunk and do horrible things in front of him. They'd cut each other, bite each other. Crazy stuff like that. Mace didn't know what to do in those situations.

TEXT FROM: MAce
3:52 A.M.

what should i do?
they're fighting more and more. i'm sitting in front of the door trying to keep it closed. i'm so scared, b. i'm so scared...

What do you say to do in that situation? Mace was terrified. He was every night. His parents were crazy, my parents didn't really like Mace because of his parents. They are the kind of people who try to mind their own business. They're the parents who say no every time someone asks to stay. They aren't good neighbors, and they're decent parents. But, that night they really pissed me off.

"Mom! Mace's parents... I have to go." I yelled up the stairs. I knew they were awake. I heard them laughing and talking over the music and the smell of pot. I couldn't take the car, they lock the keys in their room. I had to walk, run. Whatever.

I ran to Mace's. There was broken glass on the porch. They did this occasionally so he couldn't get out, and I couldn't get in. I climbed the chain fence and tapped on Mace's window quietly.

"Babe, please. It's B." I mumbled against the window. I saw Mace's black hair and his blue tee shirt. He opened the window and climbed out.

He was crying. "B, we have to get out of here. They're crazy. Please?!" He grabbed onto my arm and started sobbing heavily. I rubbed my hand through his sweat drenched hair.

That's when it all happened. We heard the gunshot. We saw the blood. All over the window of the houses bathroom. Mace screamed. It was all over then.