Nineteen

The bubbles broke against my skin. Heat treaded from the water through my body, all the way to my cheeks, as if they weren't hot and red enough. I watched Chiara through the steam, a healthy dose of flushness glistening on her skin. I leaned into the molded, comfortable seats, massaging jets hitting my skin with just the right amount of strength and speed.

I was also turned on out of my mind.

The mere sight of Chiara's skin, wet and flushed, made me forget every single doubt I might have had. The hot tub was incredibly intimate, which didn't help my excitement.

I wanted to talk about what happened.

I also wanted to not talk about what happened.

The conflict was so strong that I couldn't even muster a coherent sentence as I stared at her through the steam. We had less than an hour before Maggie and Reina joined us. Did I really want to waste that hour on talking?

Chiara poured some champagne in my glass and handed it to me. Despite my hangover, I was too nervous to refuse.

The liquid slid down my throat, feeling cold against the hot air.

"Chiara-"

"I know." She cut me off, a light smile dancing on her lips. "It's kind of crazy."

The ache in my belly grew. I drank more champagne to soothe it.

"What are we doing?" My voice was hoarse and low and exciting. It surprised me; the sheer amount of built-up desire that coloured my words.

"I don't know." Chiara laughed and the sound reverberated with the sound of bubbles breaking around us. I searched her eyes and every time I caught her gaze, she smiled.

And her smile captivated me to the point of dread. Suddenly, I realised this wasn't just a game to me. The fact she called me here meant something to me. Despite the rumours and Bryan's warnings, I fucking wanted her. And if she wanted me, I would jump in.

The realisation scared the shit out of me. And that fear was enough to flip my mind to the talking side. I needed to know, because my heart would be on the line.

"Why did you break up with Josh?" I asked, barely able to push the words out.

"I thought it might be time to go our separate ways." Chiara shrugged; her smile wavered.

"You said he had a tape." I pushed and Chiara squirmed in the hot tub. Obviously, this was not the topic she wanted to discuss, but I needed to know. Especially since I was the vulnerable one in the story.

"He does." Another slight shrug. She began playing with her wet hair. "But I can't allow him to hold me hostage. So, he might release it. He might even give it to Bryan. And I'll deal with it."

"Bryan wouldn't release it." I said, my voice more resolute than I truly felt.

"You don't know that." Chiara's gaze met mine. "He obviously felt the need to point out my father didn't leave with me when I left the school."

I wanted to ask why her dad didn't leave with her, but I didn't want to push her into spilling her secrets. She already said she went to study abroad. Everyone thought that was a lie, but she was honest about the tape, wasn't she?

"If Josh gives Bryan the tape, I'll find a way to keep him from releasing it." I said and I meant it.

Bryan would have to listen to me. If I brought him something solid enough to build his case against Josh.

"Thanks, Jackie." Chiara smiled slightly. "Let's hope it doesn't come to that."

"Can you tell me what's on it?" I asked, my nerves prickling.