Chapter 6: The Seven-Percent Solution

When Neal returned home at the end of the day, he stopped to talk with June before going upstairs. He found her in the study, editing one of Diana's chapters.

"I'm glad you returned when you did," she said. "Diana's written herself into a corner and can't figure out how to resolve her plot. My mind's a blank too."

Neal sat down in the chair next to her desk. "Have you been able to coax Mozzie into helping?"

"No, and that's a discouraging sign. Normally, Mozzie would love the challenge, but he's still too fixated on his abduction. It worries me that he hasn't returned to his normal self. We played Candy Land this morning, and he didn't cheat."

Mozzie not cheating? Perhaps he had been abducted after all. Neal did his best to comfort June. He'd hoped that last night's discussion would have been sufficient, but clearly stronger measures were required. "Where is he now?"

"He mentioned going upstairs to your loft. He said it seemed more like home. I hope you don't mind."

"Of course not."

"Give me some good news. How is Henry's loft renovation proceeding?"

June had been the one who recommended Henry's architect. Eric had designed the bathroom remodel for Neal's loft last Christmas. "Henry's going for contemporary, clean lines and lots of natural woods. One of the reasons Henry decided on the space was that he can have a deck. It will run the length of the loft. He won't have a view of the water but he can see Brooklyn Bridge."

"I expect Henry will also want to consult with Joe about the project when they're in town for your art exhibition. Besides your Aunt Noelle and Joe, is anyone else coming from out of town?"

"My grandparents, Irene and Edmund, are also making the trip. They'll ride up with Noelle and Joe. They'll arrive on Wednesday and return on Saturday."

"I'd like to host a supper after the reception. Chef Emil was complaining to me just yesterday that he was being underutilized." June began ticking off names. "Elizabeth and Peter should join us. Henry, Angela, and Michael, of course. Is there anyone Henry would like to bring?"

Neal smiled. "As a matter of fact, Eric is coming with him to the reception. Be sure to seat Eric next to the grandparents."

June chuckled. "I'm onto your sneaky ways, Neal Caffrey."

Discussing the reception with June was much more pleasant than what Neal feared he'd find upstairs, but after a few minutes, his conscience insisted on no more delays. Mozzie had seen Neal through innumerable crises. It was payback time.

Neal could hear the strains of violin music as he jogged up the stairs. The door to the loft was open.

Mozzie was sitting at the dinette table, nodding to the music. An open bottle of Bordeaux and a couple of glasses were on the table. "That's beautiful music," Neal said as he shrugged off his jacket. "Is Bach the composer?"

Mozzie nodded. "His Violin Partita Number 2. Sherlock was very fond of it, I believe. Sherlock and I have much in common, you know. Our extraordinary intellect, of course. Our capacity to derive solutions from the chaos of information around us."

Mozzie was smiling as he spoke. Neal took that as a positive sign, although he had misgivings about Mozzie comparing himself too closely to Sherlock. "Did you have a good day?"

"The best and I have you to thank for it." He stood up, went over to the kitchen counter, and picked up a glass tumbler by the sink. The glass was about a third full with a liquid colored an unusual light blue. Mozzie raised the glass, nodded to him, and drank the entire contents.