Chapter 2: GUN SHOT

Chapter
II
Gun Shot
(Care to Find Out?)

***

Jong Woo managed to pull himself onto the quarter deck, which seemed relatively deserted compared to the crowded main deck, where people tried to kill each other before the storm could.

He sat down, pressing himself to the railing, trying to not lose contact with the bucking ship and gasped a few breaths, coughing when the all present water splashed into his face.

His eyes burned from the saltwater. He blinked, then saw that there was a man lying in the middle of the deck, moaning in pain, slithering precariously on the wooden planks.

Jong Woo cursed and crawled to him on all fours, basically sliding on the wet deck.

"You have to grab something! You'll be washed away like that!" Jong Woo screamed at him over the howling tempest.

The man's eyes were closed, his face scrunched up in pain, giving him no indication whether he was even still coherent enough to understand him.

Jong Woo looked him over and saw his leg was gushing with blood. Shot? No, stabbed, very deep.

The ship reared up again and they skidded helplessly on the deck, crashing onto the doors that led to the captain's cabin.

When the ship balanced itself out again Jong Woo set to work. He tore away the bloodied remains of the man's trousers and inspected the wound. The blood had looked more severe than it actually was, because it got mixed with the water. Still, the wound was deep. It would need stitches, but Jong Woo had no means to do that now.

He tore the other leg of the trousers away and swiftly bunched it up to press against the wound, then made to grab the belt to wrap it tightly against the man's calf.

Except the belt tumbled away from him as the deck tilted again.

Jong Woo cursed violently, a habit that had gotten worse with the amount of time he spent under the sailors.

Then he saw someone walking up the stairs of the quarterdeck.

"You there! Hand me the belt!" he ordered impatiently.

The man looked down at his feet where the belt lay then across the deck to where Jong Woo was crouching.

He was standing.

Jong Woo couldn't even imagine the perfect balance needed to stand in this pandemonium. And the man did so without even holding on to the railing. He tilted his head pensively, scrutinizing him.

Pensively.

They didn't have the goddamn time for contemplation!

The man finally bent down and took the belt, then walked over to where Jong Woo was.

The ship skewed and reared but the man seemed unfazed, anticipating every tilt and effortlessly balancing himself out.

Jong Woo was on his hands and knees, still having trouble just staying where he was.

"He's not one of yours," the man pointed out, standing in front of him, but so far making no inclination to actually give him the belt.

Jong Woo frowned confused and looked down at his bleeding patient. He didn't recognize him that much was true. He wasn't one of the crew. And neither was the other man.

"Last time I checked no man belonged to me," Jong Woo snapped back. "The belt if you'd please. Now."

He held his hand outstretched, but when nothing happened he looked up from the patient.