Chapter 10

A/N: play the song whilst reading :)

Several hours had slipped by when Daryl returned from the woods, his expression etched with a hint of concern. I nibbled on my lip, torn between curiosity and caution I got up from the log I had been perched on to jog over to him.

"What happened?" I asked out of breath, he looked me up and down and shook his head.

"Nothin, now get away from me woman.'"

"Daryl?" I begged, stepping in his path. He stopped, his gaze bore into me with a mixture of irritation and apprehension.

"Ya really are deaf." He grunted, narrowing his eyes at me.

"Please?" I ignored his comment and begged again.

He tutted, casting a quick glance around to ensure no one was within earshot before leaning in and whispering in my ear.

"We found Randal as a Walker but he wasn't bit." Daryl spoke in a hushed voice. My eyes widened in disbelief. Could it mean what I feared?

"Wait wait...he wasn't bit but he came back?" A queasy feeling churned in my stomach. Daryl nodded, and a chill ran down my spine.

"Oh my god, Daryl. This changes everything!" I gasped and he looked me up and down.

"What?"

"I gotta go." I declared and rushed to the RV to record my newfound theory.

Hours passed and I was ready to leave the RV after writing down the new information I gained from Daryl. When I finally emerged from the RV, I was taken aback to find Daryl seated on a log outside, idly toying with one of his knives. He glanced up as the RV door swung open and sauntered toward me.

"Hi?" I narrowed my eyes at him, he looked me up and down before nodding in the direction of the campfire and gesturing for me to follow. We sat by the fire, and he continued fiddling with his knife.

"What's the matter? " I said with worry, he didn't look up at me but continued to play with his knife.

"Got some question to ask ya." He mumbled.

"Okay, what are they?"

"Back when the walkers were in the barn ya voted no, why?" He asked, I swallowed nervously.

"I said why-"

"That ain't the only reason, is it?" He growled and put his knife away, I looked down and shook my head.

"I... I can't kill walkers," I admitted with a stutter, expecting Daryl to scold me, yet he was quiet .

"From the beginning I've tried, but every single time I can't do it." A tear threatened to escape but I managed to hold it together.

"Alex," Daryl muttered, and I glanced up through teary eyes to see him burying his face in his hands.

"They ain't human, ya gotta protect yourself! Ya see Dale? Ya wanna end up like him?" He grumbled, not raising his voice to tell me off.

"Alex, that's what happens when ya try to protect walkers. Ya can't, they aint gonna be on ya side." He emphasized. I nodded, realizing that until my theory was proven right, Daryl might be onto something. I couldn't afford to end up like Dale.

"Okay, I'll try." I told him, he gave me an approving nod and gestured to the RV.

"Ya get back in there and right your smart shit down." He told me, I couldn't help but roll my eyes at him, I laughed a little and headed back into the RV, perhaps we were finally getting closer?