Chapter 35

I woke up the next day with the sunlight streaming through the window, casting a warm glow onto my naked body. As I opened my eyes, I was disappointed to find that Daryl had left. Rolling onto my back, I pulled the bedsheets around me, a mad giggle escaping my lips as I reminisced about the previous night. Daryl and I had sex, the very idea was foreign to me.

I ran my fingers across my lips, recalling the sensation of his warm kisses. A contented sigh escaped my lips as I watched the dust particles dance in the sunlight, almost like sugar plum fairies in the air. Deciding it was time to start the day, I swung my legs over the side of the bed and stretched. I opened the chest of drawers and selected a pair of blue jeans and a blue knitted sweater. I glanced in the mirror and brushed my wild hair into a ponytail, realizing that I desperately needed a haircut.

I went to the bathroom and started to do my teeth but stopped when I saw something on my neck, I leant forwards to the mirror and noticed there were red hand marks around my neck where the stranger attacked me, but I noticed a purple bruise as well. I gasped when I realized it was a hickey. My fingers traced over it, blushing at the fact that it was in such an exposed area. I blushed even deeper when I realized that Daryl must have given it to me the night before. I let my hair down and attempted to cover the bruise, but it remained visible. Sighing, I finished brushing my teeth, knowing that hiding it would be a challenge.

I made my way downstairs, greeted by the smell of toasting bread. Reaching the bottom step, I saw Glenn at the stove, busy cooking.

"Wow, look at you," I smiled, to which he waved a spatula in acknowledgment before returning to his task.

"Some eggs on toast, if you're interested?" Glenn gestured to the plates on the counter behind him.

"Thank you," I replied with a grateful smile, grabbing a plate and sitting at the kitchen table.

"So, are you feeling okay? Maggie told me you were attacked pretty badly by one of the invaders the other day," Glenn asked gently as the eggs sizzled in the pan.

"I went to Denise, I wasn't okay. Daryl had to give me mouth to mouth and resuscitate me," I frowned, taking a bite out of the toast, revelling in the way it flaked and melted in my mouth.

Glenn stopped cooking and grabbed his fresh plate and sat opposite me. He munched on his toast, looking as happy as I felt.

"What about you and Maggie?"

"We weren't here," Glenn cleared his throat. "We were helping Rick with the horde down at the quarry."

"Oh," I shrugged, finishing my last bite of toast. I reached for my plate but halted when I noticed Glenn's gaze fixed on my neck.

"What?" I blushed.

"You're neck is quite bruised, but a lot more over the right side."

"Oh, really?" I tapped the bruise awkwardly.

"Yeah, it looks painful," Glenn winced, not realizing that it was actually a hickey.

"Well, thanks for the meal, Glenn. See you later," I waved at him and grabbed my coat. Heading out of our makeshift door, I walked along the road to meet Denise. My gaze fell to the tarmac ground, the bodies removed but the dried blood stains remained.

I entered the makeshift lab, where Denise immediately raised her hands in exasperation.

"No, no, no, you should be resting!" She scolded. I hung up my coat and donned a white lab coat.

"This is way more important, plus I feel fine really, when you had Pete as a father you learn to move on quickly from just a few cracked ribs." I told her bluntly, she frowned before giving up.