CHAPTER 5

Dear Kim Seunghee,

We regret to inform you that…

I stopped reading and set the paper down beside me. I didn’t need to read any more to know that I had been rejected. I stayed silent and Seunghun inched closer to me and patted my head. Tears welled up in my eyes but I tried not to cry. Good thing Hyunsuk wasn’t here right now.

I pushed my brother’s hand away and went to my room, which was becoming a more common event lately. I locked the door, preventing Seunghun from trying to talk to me without yelling through the door.

“Seunghee,” He tried to talk to me but I wouldn’t answer. “Seunghee, I’m sorry. We can get something to eat if you want?”

“Go away.”

“I just want to help-” The doorbell rang, which prevented him from finishing his sentence.

He sighed and answered it.

“What’s wrong? You look sad,” It sounded like Hyunsuk.

“Nothing. Don’t worry about it.”

“Where’s Seunghee?” I winced at the sound of my name in their conversation.

“Locked in her room.”

“Why?”

Seunghun didn’t say anything, all I could hear was the sound of paper being handled. I could tell that Seunghun was showing the letter to Hyunsuk.

No more words were exchanged and the front door opened and closed, meaning that they had left. I still didn’t come out, thinking it might have been a trick. To see for sure, I decided to scream very loudly and if Seunghun came running to my door, it was a trick.

So, I screamed. I waited for a moment and nothing happened so I thought it was safe to at least unlock the door. I fidgeted around and sang out the window but nothing happened. I could have gone out of my room but I was so filled with spite that I decided to stay here until they came back. 

Soon enough, the front door creaked open and two pairs of footsteps came closer to my room.

“I’m home,” Seunghun said timidly.

“Okay.”

“I have something for you.”

I was intrigued, but not enough to actually let him in. If only he knew the door was unlocked.

“What is it?”

“Let us in if you want to know.”

I groaned.

“Us? Who all is here?”

“It’s just me and Hyunsuk. Please, Seunghee.”

“Fine, the door is unlocked.”

They came in and Seunghun set a couple of candy bars and a flower on my bed. Hyunsuk stood at the doorway awkwardly.

“Come in Hyunsuk, it’s worse if you just stand there like a creep,” I motioned impatiently.

He took a hesitant seat on the corner of my bed next to Seunghun. I looked at the gifts once more and then looked at my brother.

“Did you know you’re the best brother I could ever ask for?” My voice started to shake “I’m sorry for not being the best sister.”

“You’re good enough.” He patted my head.

I felt guilty for not studying harder and not getting into college. He worked so hard to basically raise me and now I’ll probably be living here until I  save up enough to move out and live off of minimum wage.