first meeting

Summary: Schlatt finds Wilbur distraught, alone, and with no clue as to who he is.

~~~

When the fighting started again Wilbur didn't know how to process it. A man wearing a pig’s mask stood above it all for a while, shouting things about stuff out of Wilbur's understanding.

Tommy stepped forward hesitantly....a broken boy.

A sharp pain wracked through Wil's heart.

Whatever he had done, he had caused that.

Then, chaos began again.

A huge creature topped with three skulls rampaged what was left of Wilbur's unfinished symphony.

It was too much.

It was all too much.

Wilbur climbed out of the rubble and ran.

He didn't feel the familiar pain or discomfort in his legs, the burn that told him he was alive, and that only made him run faster. He had to leave the noise, the fighting, his dad.

He stumbled into a church, clutching the wall. He wasn't out of breath, but he took great lung fulls of air, dizzy and disoriented. He sat down on the pew and put his head in his hands.

He sobbed hysterically, and he partially didn't even know why. All he knew was that he was crying, and this deep feeling in his stomach.

Maybe this was his purpose as a ghost.

To feel pain forever.

To watch the consequences of whatever actions led to his death till he couldn't feel pain anymore.

He wiped his face miserably, sniffling.

"Wil?"

Wilbur instinctively jumped, reeling his head in the direction of the voice. A man had entered the church.

Wilbur had no idea who he was.

"Wil is that you?"

Wilbur looked around the church, certain that he wasn't talking to him. He couldn't have. Wil was dead.

"A-are you talking to me?"

"Who else is in this damn church, Wil?"

".....oh......how-how can you see me?"

The figure walked over and sat in the pew next to him. He didn't seem to notice Wilbur's disheveled state.

Either that or he didn't care.

"Apparently because you're dead. Like me. Obviously. " He made eye contact with Wil, sending a shiver down his body before looking around the church again.

They sat in silence for a short time. Wil took in his suit, his horns, his ears.

"Like what you see or something?"

"No- I- um- I was just...I don't know...who you are."

The goat man's eyes widened, but only slightly. "You're joking."

"No."

"I'm Schlatt."

"Uhuh."

"JSchlatt."

Wilbur stared at him blankly before breaking eye contact. Whoever this man was, he was very intimidating.

"You really don't remember me? Everything that I did? What I did to you?"

"What-"Wilbur felt the air tense, "did you do?"

".....Nevermind."

Silence fell again. Wilbur looked down at his hands, which he hadn't noticed had started to fiddle with each other subconsciously.

"I remember L'Manburg. I remember....my son. I remember Tommy. I think there was....an election."

JSchlatt's arm that been draped across the pew tensed as his hand became a fist.

"And I remember...." Tears started to fill his eyes and trickle down onto Wil's lap. "I remember dying."

Schlatt shifted in his seat.

"Yeah. You're missing a couple things there."

"I guessed that much," Said Wilbur, wiping his tears on his sweater arm. He sniffled again.

"Maybe you...maybe you can help me. Tell me what happened." Wilbur met Schlatt's eyes.

"Shit," Said Schlatt, relaxing into the pew, "Got nothing else to do and plenty of time."