Chapter 1

Eugene Porter

It feels like I've been running for days. Behind me are 3 walkers that have been chasing me for a mile. I look forward and see a disheveled ginger on his knees with a gun in this mouth.

"Help me! Help!" I stumble towards him, hoping he would hear my plead.

He turns around with the gun still in his hand. Silently, he stands up and grabs his knife. He  walks towards me with determined look on his face.  He singlehandedly saves my life and kills the walkers.

"Thank you. Thank you." My breath is trembling after my near death experience. He continues to ignore me as he walks past. I want to know more about him. Why he saved me without knowing me. Why he refuses to acknowledge me. "Wait- Wait up. You can't leave."

Suddenly I hear his voice for the first time.
"Why?" His voice was harsh, not what I expected.

"I have a very important mission." He slowly turns his head and looks at me. I look into his pain filled blue eyes and ponder what could've possibly happened to him. He stays silent and walks off, signaling me to follow. I walk with him until he gets into a car. "Your name?" I refuse to drive off with a stranger.

"Abraham." He says with no context, closing his car door and ending the conversation. I have no choice but to go with him. I've never killed a walker and won't survive another day on my own. I walk around to the passenger seat and get into the car. We sit in silence for another minute, then he starts the car and drives off. Something about him is off, like he just lost someone.

I refrain from asking him about it, not wanting to create a tension between us. He hasn't asked what my important mission was. I don't know where he's going or when we're getting there, but I know this is going to be a wild ride.