Chapter 13

Eugene Porter

Rosita lays on the bed, dazed and confused. She doesn't remember anything at all. Her story is whatever I say it is.

"What happened?" She questions Abraham.

"You were with Eugene, remember?"

I cross my fingers that me being here doesn't jog her memory.

"No, I don't remember anything. Please just tell me what happened."

Abraham glances over at me, waiting for me to explain. I've told this story to him a bunch of times. I need to make sure my story doesn't change.

"We were out on a run, looking for supplies. We were walking into a store and there was a herd of walkers too close to us. Neither of us saw them coming. Before we could do anything one of them grabbed onto you and I couldn't pull you out. You told me to run and save myself. You saved my life, Rosita. I thought you died back there."

She looks horrified. "How did I make it out? What about the knife?"

I shake my head and look away from her. "I'm not so sure about that part. I was running back to the car, I didn't see you at all. It is a possibility that you fell onto it, maybe you accidentally stabbed yourself while fighting off walkers. There's no way to know until your memory returns." I pray to god that her memory doesn't ever return. I don't know enough about medical care. I would have to talk to Denise about it. She would know, considering she's a psychiatrist.

"Maybe I should get Denise back in here, now that you're awake." Abraham looks back at me for my approval. "Little checkup wouldn't hurt, right?"

I nod at him. Part of me wants to know if she'll ever remember what happened. I want to know if I'll be safe staying here, or if i should take my opportunity now to get out of Alexandria.

Abraham stands up and heads out the door. Now it's just me and Rosita.

"Are you telling the truth?" She looks at me and turns her head. I wasn't prepared to be confronted like this. Does she actually remember what happened?

"100%. Rosita, I know our friendship had a rough start, and I am sorry for everything's that's happened, but I do truthfully believe we were making amends. You saved my life out there. I will never be able to repay you for that."

"You're welcome. I just wish I could remember, you know? It's scary not knowing what happened."

"I understand." The silence between us becomes awkward, until Abraham walks in with Denise behind him.

"How are you feeling?" Denise walks up to Rosita, sitting next to her.

"I feel fine. I don't need a doctors appointment."

"Just to be safe."

I insert myself into the conversation, losing my patience. "Will her memory ever return?" Everyone in the room turns to look at me.

"Hard to tell without an MRI. Her long term memory seems to be fine. If the memory loss happened because of blunt force trauma, it's unlikely her short term will come back. She'll be fine from now on, but anything that happened after the trauma probably won't return. There's no way of knowing, though."

A huge wave of relief comes over me. It's like a weight off of my shoulders. Even though she'll remember her relationship with Abraham, I'm okay with that. I would rather them be in a relationship than them know what I did.

I'll just have to try harder to get Abraham. I've been trying ever since I met him.