Chapter 1: Welcome

Hi! My names y/n l/n and I live in this old house in this small town. It's actually a little ways away from the main part of town, but I like it that way. I live with my dad, and my mom… died in a car crash. Me and my dad are still recovering from it, but my dad has had to work hard to keep a roof over our heads. He often passes out on the couch and I either help him to bed or give him a blanket and let him sleep on the couch. Yes, it's a bit sad, but I get through it. Now, there's also a house I often see, called the pink palace. 2 old ladies live in the bottom part, and this weird athlete guy lives in the top part. No one lives in the middle part, but I'll get to that later. The woman who owns the pink palace in Ms. Lovat. She has a grandson named Wybie, short for Wyborn. He's a bit shy and awkward, but I got used to him, became friends, and we often hang out. He has odd hobbies like catching banana slugs and rides his electric motorcycle. I often follow behind and join in, but I'm more laid back. One day, I heard a new family was moving into the middle part of the pink palace. I haven't been to the pink palace, or met the others that live there, but I wanted to just see who the newbies were.

Y/n: Alright dad, I'm gonna go-

Once again, he passed out on the couch. I put a blanket on him and left the house. Meanwhile, the new girl was walking around, trying to find a well, when a mysterious guy grabbed her "dowsing rod".

Wybie: Let me guess, you're from Texas or Utah, some place dry and barren, right? I heard about water witches before, but it doesn't make sense. I mean, it's just a normal stick or branch.

???: It's a dowsing rod!

The girl hit Wybie in the knee, making him groan in pain and drop the stick.

???: And I don't like being stalked! Not by psycho nerds or their cats.

Wybie: He's not really my cat. He's kind of farrell. You know, wild? *Stutters. Of course, I do feed him every night. Sometimes he'll come to my window and bring me little dead things.

???: Look, I'm from Pontiac.

Wybie: Huh?

???: Michigan? And if I'm a "water witch", then where's the secret well?

Wybie: Y-You stomp too hard and you'll fall in it.

The girl noticed she was on the well and jumped off it in surprise. Wybie dug at the dirt to show it.

Wybie: See? Suppose to be so deep, that If you fell to the bottom and looked up, you'd see the sky and stars in the middle of the day.

???: Huh.

Wybie: I'm surprised she let you move in. My Grandma? She owns the pink palace, and won't rent it to people with kids.

???: What do you mean?

Wybie: Oh, uh I'm not supposed to talk about it. I-I'm Wybie. Wybie Lovat.

The two shake hands.

???: Wybie?

Wybie: Short for Wyborn. Not my idea of course. What's yours?

Coraline: It's Coraline.

Wybie: Caroline what?

Coraline: Co-raline. Coraline Jones.

Wybie: Hm. It's not really scientific, but I heard an ordinary name like Caroline lead people to have ordinary expectations about a person.

Coraline: *groans.

Suddenly, an old lady shouted "Wyborn".

Coraline: I think I heard someone calling you, Wyborn.

Wybie: W-What? I-I didn't hear anything.

Coraline: Oh I definitely heard someone, why-were-you-born.

The lady shouted "Wyborn" once more.

Wybie: Grandma.

Wybie chuckled, obviously embarrassed by her protective Grandmother. He grabbed his bike, ready to leave.

Wybie: Welp, it was nice to meet a Michigan, water witch. But, I'd wear gloves next time.

Coraline: Why?

Wybie: Cause that "dowsing rod" of yours, uh, it's poison oak.

Coraline dropped the stick in surprise as Wybie leaves. She spits at him and the cat soon leaves as well. Meanwhile, you happen to walk by just as Wybie and the cat leaves.

Y/n: So I see you've met Wybie?

Coraline looks at you and you blush. Her blue hair looked beautiful. And her brown eyes. She was the most beautiful girl you'd ever seen.

Y/n: I-I'm y/n l/n. A pleasure to meet you.

You stick out your hand and Coraline shakes it with her hand which isn't covered in poison oak.

Coraline: Coraline. Coraline Jones.

Y/n: I see your the new neighbor in town. I live not too far from here, but I often walk past the pink palace to hang out with Wybie.

Coraline: That creep?

You chuckle.

Y/n: He's not all bad. He's just lonely. Or he was, until I moved her a few years ago. We met and have seen each other ever since. In time, I'm sure you'll get used to him.

Coraline: *scoffs. I'm sure.

You notice her hand turning red from the poison oak and grab it, making her blush in surprise.

Y/n: You need any help with that?

Coraline chuckles nervously.

Coraline: I-I'm fine. I'll worry about it later.

Y/n: Ok. By the way, your hair looks nice. Why blue though?

Coraline: Thanks, and why does it matter? You just said it looked nice.

Y/n: It does. I was just curious.

Coraline: *laughs. Well, I just like the color blue.

Y/n: It looks nice on you.

Coraline blushes and looks away from you.

Coraline: Thanks.

Y/n: Well, I'll see you later Coraline, I gotta head home. Here!

You hand her a piece of paper with your phone number on it.

Y/n: My dad wanted to meet the new family moving in, but he's busy, so here. Call me sometime, ok?

Coraline took the paper and smiled.

Coraline: O-Ok. See ya!

You both wave goodbye and you head home.

Y/n: Welcome Coraline.

You say to yourself.