Prologue

Cameras flashing. The sound of the fans screaming. The red carpet. The night of stars. Cameras rolling. With all that shine and glimmer, I can't help but wonder when it all started turning dull.

"We're here." Beau, my manager, says as the limousine comes to a stop right in front of the red carpet pathway.

"Do I really have to attend this? We all know I'm winning the award again this year anyway." I say unenthusiastically. I honestly would've preferred to just stay in tonight and sleep rather than attend yet another awards ceremony. If not for Beau knocking on my doorstep earlier today, I would've taken the opportunity to miss the event.

"That's precisely why you have to attend." Beau counters and before I can open my mouth to retort, he clicks the car door open and immediately my lips curl into a forced smile as screaming and lights fill my senses.

"I'm getting a new manager." I say while smiling and Beau just ignores me to push me out the door.

"And you're getting a new award. Congratulations to the both of us." And with that, the limousine drives off and I'm left to endure another night of pretending.

-

"And the winner of Best Actor goes to Shen Celis!"

Applause fills the room and my lips automatically curl into a smile almost like clockwork despite seeing the win from miles away. I stand, the perfected art of wearing enthusiasm akin to my suit taking over me. My fellow actors sitting beside me express their congratulations and I thank them back as I make my way to the stage. My friends give me a thumbs up and for the first time tonight, I feel genuine emotions fill this smile of mine. But the moment I lose them from my line of sight, my smile becomes empty once more and even as I recite my tailor-made speech for accepting the award, the only thing running through my mind is how this trophy has lost its weight and worth to me.