Chapter 27. Royal Grace

Link couldn't believe what he was doing, nor could he believe the sight before him, even after knowing what had happened.

   The prince of the Zoras stood before him, weapon drawn and aimed squarely at him. A great warrior and hero who, only mere weeks ago, had assisted him in his assault on Vah Ruta before disappearing.

   Yet, he was different now. His pupils were missing, his eyes as foggy white as the Dark Knight's realm. His body had become enveloped in the purple ooze that covered other Blighted, spreading over his arms and entangling them in it like disgusting tentacles. A deep gash in his shoulder had become filled in with the horrid gunk, convulsing outwards and inwards like it were breathing. The skin around it had turned a sickly color, as though it had been infected.

   And here they were, about to fight to what would seem to be to the death. Link knew this wasn't the Sidon who had accompanied him aboard Vah Ruta, but couldn't help but feel hesitant to fight.

   He glanced at the figure of Mipha to the side. Link knew she might've been the bigger threat based on the fact she was one of the Champions, but she moved and swayed like she could fall over at any moment. She held her trident in her good hand, and her upper torso was bent at an angle—likely due to the uneven disparity in weight between her left and right sides.

   Seeing his childhood friend like that hurt more than he expected. He hardly remembered her thanks to his amnesia, but it felt like a spear to the heart to see a person regarded for her kindness and love reduced to a destructive monster. The mutilation of her body told the story of the violent and frightening battle that claimed her life. Link had avenged her and reclaimed Vah Ruta—at least the Mipha he used to know.

   Both of these people were friends he once knew. It hurt so much to see them like this.

    And as their friend, he resolved to free them from the Dark Knight.

   He steeled himself and made the first move by charging for Sidon.

   Sidon swung his spear as Link approached. It was a surprisingly accurate, swift attack, striking Link's legs and swiping him off his feet.

   Sidon pointed his spear at Link's neck. He was about to roll away to avoid getting his throat skewered, when Vah Medoh suddenly shook, making Sidon lose his stance and stumble backwards.

   "Link, grab something!" Teba shouted.

   Link grabbed onto the nearby column without even thinking. Teba then fiddled with the Sheikah Slate, tapping into what little of Vah Medoh that he could currently control. Then he pressed a button on the main control terminal.

   Just as he did, and just as Sidon regained his footing, Vah Medoh's right wing dipped downward, causing the entire aircraft to tilt and making Sidon and Mipha lose their footing. They tumbled toward the side of the battlefield.

   "These are those creatures that have been appearing around Hyrule lately," Teba observed, taking flight to avoid falling. "We might not be able to hurt 'em, but we can certainly hinder them!"

   Sidon jabbed his spear into the floor of Vah Medoh, tearing through the metal floor and causing sparks to fly, but stopping his descent. He stuck out his free hand and caught a falling Mipha, who simply dangled from where she hung like some sort of rag doll.

   "Now let's see if we can't shake them off!" Teba said, getting back on the Slate.

   Link looked in the direction Vah Medoh was headed. "Teba, look out!"

   Teba looked up. Up ahead was the sharp and rocky peaks of the Hebra Mountains. They had gone off course and were moving away from the village. The wing that had dipped downward was about to collide with one of the peaks. At the speed they were headed, it was very likely the entire wing could be broken off. If that happened, the rest of the Divine Beast would spiral down and crash, likely killing him and Link in the resulting explosion, even if Teba tried to fly them off.