Chapter 26 (c)

When the grandfather clock gongs out seven o'clock Alex invades my sanctuary

When the grandfather clock gongs out seven o'clock Alex invades my sanctuary. "What about Oliver?" I ask walking into the walk-in-wardrobe.

"He's too unruly. Maybe next year." He says, delighting me with the 'next year' part. "He can have lunch with you tomorrow."

"With me? What about you?"

"Me?" He hesitates, flicking me an uncertain look as I arch my brows. He shrugs "Yeah me too."

God, it pains him to say that. "Why a formal dinner all of a sudden?" I ask.

"It's a tradition. Just because I've given my men all the freedom to do whatever they want, doesn't me they are that free. They are what they are because of me. Without me they are nothing but filthy strays."

I refrain from rolling my eyes. "I find it weird most of them live with us."

"We're a pack of wolves, princess." He says. "We stick together."

I image Oliver woofing to that. He definitely would.

I wait patiently looking over Alex's shoulder as he goes through my blouse section, rattling the hangers on the rails. He picks out a white lace and chiffon blouse with cutout tied stand collar and bishop sleeves lace cuffs and pairs it with black dressy pants. "This will do?"

My eyebrows rise—because he is again dictating my wardrobe and deciding what should be I wearing—then they fall as I eye the top he's holding in front of him —because I don't think I've seen this top before and it looks nice.

I'm careful to keep my voice nice and steady. "You want me to wear them?"

"No." He smiles sarcastically. "I want to wear them. Wouldn't I look good?"

I snort taking the clothes and quickly change into them. When I present myself in front of the cheval mirror tucking my blouse into the pants, Alex appears near my elbow holding up a pair of Jimmy Choo's 4 inches block heel round-toe black pump.

"My, my, are you my stylist now?" I smile.

Alex cocks his head. "You need one, don't you?" He bends placing the shoes before my feet.