Chapter 19 (c)

Song of the Chapter : Criminal -Britney Spears

Nine Months Ago

(Paris' Point of View)

My stomach twist and turn by the time we reach home. Sweat has jumped onto my forehead and heat has jumped onto my cheeks. I'm going to throw up. I groan clamping my lips tight as I open the car door and fly past the lions into the grand foyer, vaguely hearing footsteps behind me.

Marissa 16 is waiting for me to take my bag and to know if I want something to eat. Her smile disappears as I drop my bag at her feet and hurry past her down the long hallway that has tall windows line one wall, Jesse on my tail. I can hear her fretful breath for walking fast on high-heels. Through the windows the pink-orange light of a sunset steams through, the sun beginning to settle beneath the horizon. On my right the white wall is graced with paints in bronze frames and three 19th century French console table with original marble top and two chairs between each. The consoles has Ming vases with colorful but artificial flowers.

As the windows on my left end, doors appear on both sides. The first door is open and inside is the grand dining room. I swallow, clutching my stomach.

One of the Marissa 2 appears in the open doorway hearing the pounding feet. Her eyes widen in alarm and she shuffles forward flapping her hands. "Oh Sir, you look so pale!"

I clamp a hand on my mouth shaking my head and heading past her.

"Oh dear girl go first." Her hushed rushes voice follows me.

"I am! I am! " It's Marissa 16. "And please Miss Vega you can't barge in here."

I grab the first brass door knob but it won't open. Shit.

"What do you mean!?" Jesse's shout echoes down the hall as I try the second knob to no avail. "He is my friend."

"I'm his personal assistant and I can't let you wander around like this. Mr. Grayson won't appreciate it at all." Marissa 16 says firmly.

I cast quick glance to see Marissa has my bag in one hand and her vacant palm facing Jesse, with the sternest look I've ever seen.

"Mr. Grayson won't mind!" Jesse shouts. "I'm his friend."

"Marissa, please show Miss Vega the sitting area." Marissa instructs and swings in my direction.

"Sure." Marissa 2 replies. I catch a glimpse of her grabbing Jesse's elbow as I turn for the next door. "Follow me please."

My stomach lunges out of control, and my mouth becomes watery. Oh no. I retch there, splashing the floor.

I hear three distinctive yells.

I whirl away clumsy from my vomit, staggering on my heels.  I note the third left door stands ajar. I burst into the room and stumble all the way to the bathroom, collapsing in front of the toilet, then proceed to evacuate whatever is left.

Over my roaring ears and gagging, I hear Marissa 16 literally shout as she bands Jesse from entering the room and slams the door.

"Sir!" I hear her shuffling footsteps.

"I'm..." I throw up again, choking as I try to talk, try to assure her that I'm fine. Shit!

"Oh fuck!" she exclaims and I would have laughed if I could. This is the first time I'm hearing her curse. "I'll—I'll get you some water—no, no, a towel. Oh flipping heck! What do I do?"

I can't talk. My throat is blocked, my eyes are watering and my stomach is aching from turning so much. What the hell is wrong with me? Shit, I feel queasy. I grab some toilet tissue and dab at my forehead. I really need to get a grip. I'm mortified. And I feel terrible – sick, embarrassed and stupid.