Chapter 9: Balero and Credon

It was a weird and uncomfortable feeling, walking down the hall with the Leader of the Saintshield knight on the right and his subordinates on the left. Elena couldn't help but feel like
a small rabbit sandwich in between two big wolves. The vigor of attention immediately flung to her, coming down the stairs of the shabby in. The noise from the crowd suddenly fell silent as the three of them reached the bottom of the stairs. From the look on the stranger's faces, their silent stares and mumbling sounds were a sight of confused goats. It was probably due to the fact that the group had a little misfit, as her being part of it, looked suspicious.

On this southern part of Kleotera, Balero, the town that borders the Kingdom of Ibreotha and Dedum, was a neglected town governed by her father. It was not surprising that, in this town which is further away from the capital of Ibreotha, news of the king's daughter would not be heard as of yet. From the look on their eyes, it was apparent to her it was either the curious stares were directed at her, a lady who had come from somewhere or to these knights who looked more like mercenaries who were dark and gloomy.

Actually, either choice would stand true.

Since many people only knew Elena's existence only by name, they wouldn't know she was a princess. At the same time, though Saintshield were knights who are known throughout the continent, with their appearance looking more like assassins, no one can tell that they were actually knights.

Hearing the little murmurs of the crowd, the man on her left clicked his tongue, visibility unpleased by the unwanted attention. Though she couldn't blame the people looking at them weirdly, all she can assume was these people might have not recognized who these men are.

Ignoring the wary look on the eyes of the crowd, they walked past the diner where food and beer were being served to the guests.

Elena, who couldn't stop being aware of multiple monitors, only looked at the floor as the smell of fried eggs slip, past her nose.

"Did you want to eat?"

She turned to the other cheek, Johan walked an inch past her and turned to the side to look straight at her. The difference in their height was a palm apart that Elena had to tilt her head back a little just to meet his eyes. He faintly smiled as if to say not to worry, he would shield her from the thorny stares. She shook her head in response to his considerate invite. She just couldn't find an appetite to sit among these crowds of dangerously looking people.

"The journey to my estate will take us two days to get there. I can't promise you that you will have a good meal until we reach Credon."

"We have enough loaf and water. The princess shouldn't mind eating those..."

Johan's brow wriggled and his faint smile deepened. But, the warmth in his eyes turned to annoyance as his jaw hardened. He looked up, the other man looked at him without batting an eye.

"Did I ask for your opinion, Sir Naris?"

The other man ran his long fingers through his auburn hair and sighed. He closed his brown eyes and finally responded, "I'm just here to remind you, Captain... I'm trying to prevent us from getting nagged by the King..."

"He can't force us to leave Balero."

"...But, we can't involve the church because of this."

Though their voices were calm and low, the conversation between the two gentlemen was getting heated. Elena understood the urgency to leave the place. With the Saintshield knight being there, not being officially recognized by the King as part of his vessel, they were technically a trespasser to a territory they don't claim as their own and if they were to stay longer within the King's vicinity as trespassers, problem would surely arise because of their association with the church as being privileged to bow to no king.

Seeing how the two men seemingly moved further and further to resolution, Elena finally decided to interject, "I-I'll eat while we travel. Sir Naris is right..."

The two wolves looked at her, the rabbit who the men had shamefully forgotten, and quickly shut their mouth. Peaking through the crowd behind Johan, Elena spoke a little fimer with an anonymous feeling above her, "don't worry about me. We should prioritize leaving this place."

A man from the crowd caught her eyes and he smirked. From the pool of drunken men, the guy stood up from his seat. With two other men following suit, Elena could tell they were headed towards them with dangerous intent. The men had loose shirts and a few knives on their belts. The smell of booze entered her nose as they came closer-- why does it feel like it was not going to be a peaceful encounter?

Johan quickly turned around, his quick reflexes earned him to dodge the tattooed hands that were meant to be planted on his shoulder, catching it just on time with one firm grip. His pale blue eyes became icy and, for a second, he looked at the man with intimidation as he carefully spoke, "....what do you want?"

The man laughed without an ounce of fear in his body as if numb from the alcohol he had already drunk. His height was only a few inches different from Johan and seemed to be much older from the rest of the group. With one hand seized by the Captain of the Sainsheild knights, the stranger did not hesitate to place his other hand on Johan's other shoulder.

"From the looks of you, you bastards seem to be lost... this is not a place for you to loiter around."

Johan looked at him from head to toe and smiled faintly. The man immediately took notice of his mocking expression, the traces of his smirk quickly turned violent, offended by how Johan looked at him. Irritated, the man threw an insulting remark to throw off Johan's confident smile.

"So, miss... I'm really curious! Who did you sleep with?"