Chapter 6

"Xavier!!"

Varian winces when the door slams behind him, but he doesn't let it stop him as he barrels into the blacksmith's shop.

The man in question emerges from behind a curtained doorway in the back, eyebrow raised at the boy's bursting in.

"Ok, now I know something is wrong if you are here for another drink-"

"I'm not here for a drink," Varian cuts him off, meeting him in the center of the room. He takes a gulp of air, panting heavily after running straight here as soon as he had entered the city. "I need your help."

He pulls his backpack off, sending Ruddiger skittering to the floor and pulling out the leather notebook. He levels a serious gaze at Xavier.

"I need you to tell me everything you know about the Seven Trials."

A knowing smile lights up the man's face and he leans back against the table, crossing his arms.

"Ah. Not one of the most popular legends, you know."

Varian's mouth quirks into a coy smirk.

"Because it's not a legend at all, is it?"

Xavier's expression doesn't change. "And why the sudden interest in such a topic?"

Varian's face fades back into seriousness.

"I found something." He hands Xavier the notebook, which he takes with interest. "It...it belonged to my mother. She was a scientist and she was researching something called the 'Eternal Library'."

Xavier looks up from the open pages at that, eyebrows furrowing.

"Now that is a name I have not heard in a while. Did you know it was built by-"

"Demanitus," Varian finishes for him, nodding towards the paper sticking out of the book. "I know. I read the scroll on the way here."

"Then you know how dangerous it is," Xavier deadpans.

He lets his eyes drop away, fiddling with his gloves.

"I know that my mom was killed before she made it. And..." he hesitates, briefly wondering if he should continue. "I know that I have to finish her work."

The man doesn't initially react. After a moment, he begins to stroke his chin, deep in thought.
"That is a big responsibility," he finally says.

Varian nods. "I know."

"What about your position at the palace?"

The teen sticks his hands in his pockets, sighing. "I'll have to resign. But Xaves, you and my dad are the only ones who know that I plan on leaving. Please, don't tell anyone."

Xavier's face softens. "Of course, Varian."

The blacksmith brings the notebook to the sunlight shining through a window, resuming his inspection of its pages. "I know today is busy for you. There is a lot of information here, so what do you need me to explain?"

Varian settles in a stool next to the table, propping his chin up with a fist. Ever since he and Xavier had become closer friends, the man has learned to consider Varian's busy role and tight schedules when it comes to his famous story telling. It's a large contrast to the first time they met, and extremely helpful.

"I didn't get to look at much on the way here, since I was decoding the scroll. I got that there's seven trials in each of the seven kingdoms from some of her notes, and the scroll said the Eternal Library is in a completely different plane of existence and that it holds infinite knowledge." His last words are said with an unbelieving laugh as he just now realizes the extent of their meaning. He has to shake himself out of his awe. "But how does that connect?"