Chapter 7

"Really?"

At the alchemist's unsure tone, Lance and Angry's clapping stops. They all turn their eyes towards Catalina, who continues a half hearted clap, seemingly spaced out. Angry slaps her sister's hands, causing her to abruptly zone back in with a jerk of her head. Angry sighs, exasperated, as they all bring their attention back to Varian - or rather, what he wears. It's the long awaited presentation day, and the Schnitzes had insisted on arriving early at the palace to help prepare Varian for his 'big debut'. At the moment, that means finding the right outfit, a task Lance had immediately called.

"Don't you think it's a little...much?" he continues, awkwardly gesturing at the purple vest with it's gold embroidery, the handkerchief hanging from his high collar and a similar one tucked into his pressed pants (which are void of his usual utility belt), the sewn on black shoulder pads, the soft, white gloves, the silver cuffs that make him cringe for more than one reason - though he doesn't have the heart to tell that to Lance.

"Trust me kid, there is no such thing as 'much' when it comes to royalty." Lance settles his hands on the boy's shoulder, spinning him towards the full length mirror.

"I guess you're right," he muses, breaking away and fiddling with different accessories.

He frowns as he looks over the reflection of his body, turning in different directions to find an angle he likes, and failing.

"Dang, I'm really skinny," he murmurs.

A snort from the other side of the room catches his attention, and his eyes flit to the corner of the mirror. He sees Catalina hanging off the edge of his bed, pigtails brushing the floor.

"You have no idea how many girls would kill to be able to say that," she says, sounding strained from the position she's in.

"You're telling me," Angry agrees, lounging next to her.

"Girls, don't be insensitive," Lance chastises, adjusting Varian's handkerchief for the fifth time. "Don't be so hard on yourself, V. You've put on a lot since pri..."

Lance's eyes widen slightly as he trails off, catching the meaning of his words too late. Catalina and Angry sit up as an awkward silence ensues.

They all look at him, unsure of how to proceed.

Varian is only stock still for a few seconds, before forcing his body to relax and turn around to face them.

"Prison?" he finishes light heartedly, waving a hand in the air as if to dispel the tension. "What? You guys can say it, I'm not gonna explode. And it was like...two years ago. No big deal anymore. I thought we were over this; I'm fine."

Varian realizes he's rambling, and snaps his mouth shut, fingers reaching for the edges of his gloves, disappointed at the soft material instead of the familiar rubber.

"Uh, besides, it's not like you all haven't been to prison before too, right?" he adds, quieter.

The others seem to relax. Lance smiles charmingly, starting to fix Varian's sleeve this time.

"Well, of course," he answers the previous questions. "But that doesn't mean I like it when people bring it up."

"I hate it," Angry grumbles, collapsing back on the bed.

After a few more minutes of fussing over his clothes, Lance steps back proudly.

"Now that's what a Royal Engineer looks like," he states.

Varian smirks. "You've never seen a Royal-"

"Nuh uh, no arguing," the man cuts him off. "You're fabulous- hey! What are you doing?"