sincere

(Y/N), Washington Lodge Grounds: 22:43

"Okay. Let's go, I've got cabin fever." Jess calls to the pair, who had fallen behind in their walking.

"It is freezing out here." (Y/N) mumbles, wrapping her jacket tighter around her body. The snow feels crisp under her boots, crunching with every step.

"Now that's something I can help you with." Matt suggests and she nods, glancing at him beside her. "And how're you gonna do that?"

"I got a few things in mind." His voice was low and she is quite taken aback by the confidence. She goes to say something else when they bump into Jessica, who had stopped to wait for the pair.

"Maybe if we're lucky Emily will try and follow us out here and get eaten by a bear." Jessica states and (Y/N) nods.

"I think you bring out the worst in her." She agrees and Mike shrugs slightly. "Maybe ease up on her, you guys."

"Hey, it's not our fault you dumped her sorry ass." (Y/N) reminds him, pushing the button next to the gate.

"Generator." Mike states and she indicates with her hand for him to go do it. He rolls his eyes, going down to the shed and pulling the switch, congratulating himself.

The lights above the sisters turn on and Jessica claps. "Woo! You are a wizard!"

(Y/N) opens the gate, pulling a face slightly. "Because he pushed a switch? Yeah, woo, real wizardry."

Jessica sticks her tongue out at her sister, pulling out her phone. She puts on music, dancing along and Mike clears his throat to stop himself laughing.

He looks over at (Y/N), who was staring up at a tree. He makes sure Jess was okay - she was still dancing away in one spot - and goes over to her.

"From Hannah and Beth." She whispers. "They never closed the investigation."

Mike's hand reaches out, just hovering above her shoulder but he decides against it. "Well wherever they are. I'm sure they're happy we're all thinking about them."

(Y/N) looks down and then turns to face him. He braces himself for the sarcastic comment, but for the first time in a while, her smile is sincere. "That's... a nice way of thinking about it."

"It's all such a blur. I can barely even remember what happened."

Now he had stepped in it. Her smile disappears, her arms unfolding and her fingers clenching. "You lot played a stupid prank that probably got them killed."

"Hey, I mean, it's not our fault they ran into the woods!" Mike exclaims, defending himself and she shakes her head.

"She was humiliated! You lot just couldn't help yourselves." (Y/N) says, stalking off and he sighs, rubbing two fingers across the bridge of his noise.