Chapter FOURTEEN

*Sansa*

THE FRESH MIDDAY SUN kissed my skin as I came to. While the weather last night had been dry and dusty, a cool and warm breeze softly greeted my body, making me sigh softly. I tilted my face up to direction of the sun, relishing the touch of the sun rays on my skin.

Slowly and reluctantly, I peeled my eyes open. Brightness. There was too much light. "Arrgh," I groaned. My throat felt like a sand desert. I needed water, right now.

Turning my head to the left hand side of the bed, I saw a glass full of water. Without a second thought, I reached for it and downed it in one long gulp. It was then I realized that I was not alone in this room. I turned and regarded the two men who were talking to each other in hushed voices, oblivious to my consciousness.
Richard was staring at the other man who I guessed was a doctor or pharmacist, with a strange look on his face. He looked.. Helpless. He looked like he wanted to beg the man for a reason I couldn't fathom. I let an exasperated breath, alerting the both of them as they turned to me in shock.

  Richard was the first person to react. He left the doctor's side and crouched right in front of me, close to the bed. I sighed as he gave me one of his rare, priceless smile.

  "Sansa... You're finally awake. How are you feeling?" He asked, stroking my chin softly with his fingers. I had no other option but to smile sheepishly back at him.

  "I'm.. Fine. Just a bit tired. And... Who's that man over there?" I asked, pointing my fingers to the man.

"He's a very close friend of mine and our family doctor. He came to check on how you were doing.. I suppose you're doing fine on your own, though" he finished with a bright smile. I felt my heart skip a bit, gazing at his overly handsome face. The man was a demigod.

  "Why wouldn't I be fine?" I queried in a casual tone, frowning at him.

"Baby, you passed out yesterday.. After you..."

"Actually...I highly suggest we let her recuperate and gain more strength before bombarding her with questions and explanations." The doctor said, stopping Richard from saying more.

But he didn't need to say more. Everything came crashing back. My cheeks burned bright as I remembered everything that happened the night before.
How I'd opened up the gift and found the sick letter from that sick guy. My throat closed up as I realized one fact. Godwin knows where I am. He'll come after me and try to hurt my friends as well as me. He'll hurt Richard. No!

I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if Richard got hurt because of me. Godwin was not just a dangerous person, he was the devil incarnate himself. A vile, wicked animal who loved to prey on people's weaknesses and even though I didn't wish to admit it, Richard was my weakness.

I stared up at him silently, tears gathering in my eyes as I thought about how he'd come to mean so much to me in such a short time. I didn't think I was capable of falling in love. I still couldn't grasp the meaning of love into my head, but I knew for a fact that I had deep feelings for this young man sitting in front of me, watching me as if I was one of his favorite movie.

   "Sansa... Let me take care of you," He urged, his voice soft, mild. "Tell me what's wrong, I swear I'll make it right..."

I shook my head back and forth as I pulled out the covers from under me. I needed to get out of here. Luckily I was already dressed in a white jalamia I was sure was Richard's.
I got up from the bed and took a step backwards as the force of my headache hit me.

"Argh..." I groaned as I felt Richard's hands circle my back area, stopping me from toppling over.

"Calm down, you fainted yesterday and you're barely on your feet yet you want to go where?" Richard demanded. I could trace the anger in his voice as he held on to me tight.
I took a moment to savor the feeling of his arm wrapped warmly around my middle. That feeling of peace, of sweet butterflies dancing in my belly. I felt his soft breath fan the tiny hairs at the back of my neck.
I didn't know when I would feel this way again. You need to do the right thing, Sansa. Push him away. He'll understand that you're just trying to protect him later.