Chapter 3: A great feast

Evalin came into her bedroom sweaty and exhausted. She had just finished a grueling training session with Asterin and Gavin when her mother called her to get ready for the party.

Everything was already decorated and Evalin had greeted the many remaining guests who had arrived during the day. Among them were Uncle Aedion and Lady Lysandra with their daughter Evangeline.

She sighed at the thought of the long evening tonight. The princess went into the bathroom, where a servant had already put water in the tub, took off her sweaty clothes and layed down in the hot water.

After what felt like an eternity, there was a knock on the door and Mary, a friend and servant of her mother, came in to help Evalin get ready. The bath had relaxed her, so that Evalin was no longer as exhausted as before. Wrapped in her morning gown, Evalin sat at her dressing table and let Mary do her make-up and hair.

When this was done, Evalin looked at herself in the mirror. Her long silver hair fell in curls over her shoulders and part of the front hair was braided back and held in place by a brooch with a beautiful sapphire on the back. There were strands of silver worked into her hair that made it shine like liquid stars. Her turquoise Ashryver-Eyes were rimmed with black kohl, which made them stand out even more and her lips were shiny.

Very happy with her appearance, she wanted to put on the dress. But when the princess put it on and looked at herself again in the mirror, she was speechless. Her mother had outdone herself.

The dress was sapphire blue, which contrasted perfectly with her silver hair, and sparkled like a starry sky. Blue stones were incorporated everywhere, which must have cost a fortune. The dress was fitted tightly and had a long slit through which you could see her leg as she walked. It was beautiful and perfectly showcased her trained body.

Then Evalin strapped on the two daggers that Fenrys had given her and which, with their sapphires in the handles, also went perfectly with the dress. Her mother always made fun of the fact that Evalin couldn't even put down her weapons at festivities, but the princess felt kind of naked without daggers.

The servant was apparently not yet fully satisfied, because she mumbled:" Mhm, something is still missing ... Ah, here we have it. " The somewhat older lady put a silver diadem on Evalin that had beautiful flower ornaments.

Satisfied with her work, Mary looked at her. "You are really more beautiful than your mother" "Don't let her hear that", Evalin replied and they both laughed. "Have fun tonight," Mary encouraged her as she noticed Evalin's gloomy look. "I'm going to put some effort in it.", she answered and the servant left the room smiling.

Before Evalin wanted to leave too, she took a deep breath and encouraged herself. "It's only one evening and no one will notice you because your mother is there and she will attract people's attention and she, unlike you, loves attention and has no problem with it. "

Then Evalin headed for the throne room. But when the doors swung open and she entered the room, everyone stopped at what they were doing and looked at her. "That was it with no attention", thought Evalin, gritting her teeth "where is my mother when you need her?"

The whole room was decorated in spring colors and beautiful flower garlands hung from the ceiling. She walked slowly across the room to the dais on which the throne stood and where her mother sat. The queen wore a simple but beautiful dress in the colors of Terrasen. She smiled at her admiringly and pointed to the smaller throne next to her so that Evalin could take a seat.

Then her mother tapped her glass with a spoon to keep everyone quiet again. "On behalf of all of my family, I thank you all warmly for coming today to celebrate the sixteenth birthday of my daughter Evalin Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius with us." Everyone in the hall applauded and her father, who was standing next to her mother's throne, winked at Evalin.

"And now a toast. To the Princess of Terrasen", continued the Queen and everyone shouted in unison: "To the Princess of Terrasen!" Evalin nodded her thanks to everyone. "Enjoy the party! But be careful with the red punch, it has a lot to offer," warned her mother with a wink.

The whole hall laughed loudly and Evalin rolled her eyes. "Evalin, I think you should dance the opening dance as the main character of the evening." said the queen mischievously. Evalin looked at her angrily and was about to say something snappy when suddenly Fenrys stood in front of her.

He bowed and held out his hand to her, "May I ask for this dance, Your Highness?" The princess blushed a little, but took the Fae's hand. Before she got up, she glared at her mother, who then grinned even more. Fenrys and Evalin slowly stepped into the center of the dance floor and people dodged to make room.

Then a beautiful song was played that was undoubtedly one of the Fae songs her mother used to sing for her. Fenrys bowed to her again and pulled her close. She felt his muscles through the fabric and he stroked her back tenderly. "You look beautiful today, Ev," he purred into her ear.

Evalin flushed even more. "You don't look bad either, but I think you already know that" The wolf grinned. Then the dance started. The music quickened a little, but Fenrys spun her around lightly. Then a turn that Evalin mastered perfectly. She liked dancing a lot because it was like a passionate fight, just not in front of so many people.

Still, she managed to block everything out and just focused on this dance. And focused on Fenrys, who looked deep into her eyes. Then came the end and he put his hands behind her back to lean Evalin back. His hands felt a bit rough because he too had a lot of calluses from exercising. Her heart raced as the Fae bent over her. He surely heard it too, because he grinned slightly.

Then everyone in the hall applauds enthusiastically and the next song is intoned.

Evalin, still completely taken by surprise by the dance, muttered an apology to Fenrys and stepped out into the garden. The fresh evening air calmed her down a bit and she sat down by a little pond, which was a bit more hidden and where the fireflies danced at night.

Completely fascinated by this spectacle, she did not notice the person who, hidden in the shade of the trees, came towards the pond. "May I sit down with you?" , said her father's deep voice.

Evalin winced briefly, but pointed to the seat next to her. The Fae sat down and so father and daughter sat in silence for a while and looked out over the pond. Then Evalin broke the silence. "How should I know where my place is in the world?"

Rowan thought for a moment. "I was once just like you. Years ago, when I still thought I had lost my Carranam forever." Evalin knew the story of Lyria, who her father believed was his Carranam, and who was murdered from behind by Maeve while she was pregnant with his child. All of this was only engineered by the Valg-Queen to break her father, which she ultimately managed.

He kept emphasizing that her mother saved him. Rowan continued: "I've looked behind every mountain to find new challenges and to be completely fulfilled again. I couldn't have known that what I was missing was your mother, my true companion." "And what do you advise me to do now?" Asked Evalin, a little desperately.

"What I'm saying is that maybe you should venture out on an adventure yourself to find what completely fulfills you." He took out a necklace that Evalin had never seen before. It was gold and the pendant had a blue stone in the middle.

"This is your birthday present from your mother and me." Only now did Evalin realize that the pendant with the blue stone was shaped like an eye.

"This is the Eye of Elena, the necklace from Brannon's daughter and the first Queen of Adarlan." The princess took the necklace in awe. "This chain helped your mother and it will help you too," continued her father. "Thank you, the necklace is beautiful, but how can a necklace help me?" Evalin was confused.

"You'll find out soon enough, trust me", her father said and winked at her.