You promised you would come back

It was one of those nights where the crazy scientist couldn't sleep. Usually it would because she had an experience or an idea for a date with you. Or on some rare occasions, a nightmare. But tonight was different. And she knew it would be forever like that. Normally, she would wake you up, talk and cuddle with you until she would fall asleep again. But now you are gone. And you would never come back. And it completely killed the inside of the commander squad leader.

It was a mission like any other. The Survey Corps would leave the walls, go beyond them, explore, kill titans, getting killed in return, and having less than half of the soldiers coming back alive. But most of them were injured and traumatized forever. But y/n and Hange were always excited to go outside. And nobody could understand why but them. One was excited to see the titans and maybe capture one or two. While the other one wanted to feel free for just a few hours. But people still couldn't comprehend why. But for both of them it didn't matter.

The two of them, however, were deeply in love. And nothing would change that. Not the titans. Not anyone. Nothing. And before each expedition they would always promise each other something. That they will always come back alive for the other. And it would be sealed with a kiss.

After a few hours into the expedition, rain started pouring. Everyone was drenched in both blood and water. The titans were almost impossible to locate with that much rain. But they had to continue. If they wanted to go to the basement, they had to. So they all fought to their maximum. And they would keep fighting until their last breath and until Eren would have reached the basement with the secret.

And that's what y/n did. She fought until her last breath. A titan was coming for Moblit. And she sacrificed herself for him.

She got tossed against a tree. Moblit never flew this fast before. He needed to find Hange. Just so she could say her goodbyes before y/n would leave forever. She was fighting alongside Levi. "HANGE SAN! I-ITS Y/N! SHE'S DYING!"

Panic was written all over the girl's face. Levi followed her. You were an old friend of his. One that he wouldn't actually insult all the time. Once she saw your body resting against a tree, she threw herself on you. She tried to stop the bleeding. But everyone knew. She knew, Levi knew, Moblit knew and you knew you weren't going to make it.

"H-Hange.... I'm sorry I couldn't k-keep our promise. Please forgive me my love. I l-love you. Levi, please don't give her a hard time. And M-Moblit, take care of her instead of me. H-Hange, please... don't cry over my death. Live happily. Eliminate the titans and be free... don't exaggerate on the experiments with Eren. H-haha. Don't ever forget that I love you." With all the power left in your body, you took your hand to wipe away the tears that were streaming down on her face. A few seconds later, before the girl could speak to tell her loved one that she loved her, her hand left her face and the light in her eyes was gone. "Y/N! Y/N NO! YOU CAN'T DIE ON ME! YOU PROMISED ME THAT YOU COME BACK!"

Levi and Moblit had to hold her down while she screamed for you to come back and them, crying silently. They had brought y/n's body back. They needed to give her a proper funeral. Everyone loved the girl. She was always happy. She would always smile no matter what. She was the mother of the cadets, the best friend or Levi, the one that he thought wouldn't leave him, and mostly, the lover of Hange. She would always help the scientists with her experiments. She was the only one that could calm her down after Sawney and Bean died. The only one that could make sure Hange wouldn't give a hard time to Eren. And Hange thought that she would always be here with her.

Hange had locked herself in her office. Moblit had tried to take her to the mess hall but failed. She didn't want to see anyone except y/n. But she was gone. So she couldn't. Everyone was sulking her death silently, eating until screams broke the silence

"WHY DID YOU LEAVE ME Y/N! YOU PROMISED YOU WOULD COME BACK! YOU TOLD ME THAT YOU HATED SEEING PEOPLE CRY AND BE SAD! I'M SAD AND CRYING COME COMFORT ME! COME AND BE WITH ME! DON'T LEAVE ME ALONE LIKE THAT! WHO IS GOING TO HELP ME WITH MY EXPERIENCE? WHO IS GOING TO LOVE ME? TO TAKE CARE OF ME WHEN I'M SICK? TO CUDDLE ME? WHY DID YOU BROKE YOUR PROMISE? WHY DID YOU FUCKING DIE!"

and then it was only sobs that could be heard. From both Hange's room and the mess hall.

It had been a month since y/n died. Hange wasn't smiling anymore. She wasn't happy anymore and she had no reasons to be smiling. Why would she? Nobody now is going to admire her smile and tell her how pretty it is. Hange was gone. All there was left was a soldier who had no reasons to go on with living. She had lost all will to continue on with her life. Even though her lover had told her to live happily. She couldn't do that without her. It was mentally and physically impossible.

It had become hard for her to sleep. She didn't want to sleep. The image of y/n, dead against a tree would just keep coming. And she didn't want that.

But one day, sleep had come easily. She let out a yawn and unwantedly, fell asleep. But in her dream, instead of seeing y/n dead again, she saw y/n smiling at her. She ran up to her and cried in her arms. And she hangs out with y/n like before.

But the time to wake up from her dream never came. She felt bad to let her friends behind, but she was finally happy again. And her friends, on the other side, understood.

Y/n promised from now on to never break another promise with Hange. And this time she wouldn't leave her. Never again.

Because they promised each other to always come back for the other.