Will I be dead or alive?

The heavens must have liked me so much to call for me continuously.

Dr Kim handed me the test report with a serious expression. As I looked at the large variety of assorted data, I was in a blur.

As soon as I retrieved my sight from the documents in my hand, I asked him directly, "What's the result?"

Will I be dead or alive?

Dr Kim replied, "Mr Han, you should be mentally prepared."

Oh. With such a sentence, it was very clear.

I confirmed it with him, "I take it that it's deadly?"

He nodded his head.

"Oh." I also nodded with not much fear in my heart. After all, I had been let down too many times and had gradually learned to no longer shelter hope in my heart.

"How much time do I have to live?"

"Half a year, at most one year."

Dr Kim's expression made it seem like he was in greater pain than me. I couldn't help but comfort him.

Compared to those who get knocked down by a car after leaving home and those who died in baffling ways, my situation was already much better.

At least I knew when I was going to die.

He then advised me, "You should receive treatment as soon as possible."

To that, I didn't say anything. I just turned around and left.

Outside of the hospital, I crushed the test report into a ball and threw it into the garbage can.

--------

After sleeping in the bed for a whole day and night, I was interrupted by the growls of my hungry stomach.

Running to the kitchen barefooted, I opened the refrigerator, but there was nothing but three cans of beer.

Might as well. It's still better than nothing.

While drinking a can, I wandered around the apartment and browsed through the old furnishings. All given to me by Chan.

I have lived in this apartment for four years. In other words, I have been with him for four years.

--------

Four years ago, I was driven into a corner and had worked as a waiter in a nightclub.

Before that, I had not even the slightest idea of the difficulty of survival - having to let others insult, beat, scold, and boss me around while always maintaining a smiling face.

However, I swallowed and suppressed my resentment, as I still had to live.

Yet I didn't expect that there was still a time when I couldn't bear with it. For instance, the time when a greasy middle-aged man placed and rubbed his hands on my bottom.

As I really couldn't stand it, I had picked up a glass of alcohol then and splashed it on his face.

During that time, I was naive, proud, inexperienced, and the only good thing I had was my self-respect. If this had happened now, I would still continue smiling even if he placed his hands on my chest.

How much was one's skin worth? In this world, there were far more painful things than selling one's self-respect.

Instantly, the whole room became silent and everyone turned their sight towards me. Some were shocked while others seemed to be anticipating the drama.

As I had made him lose face in front of the public, the middle-aged man was furious. He was going to ensure that there was no tomorrow for me.

It's not that I wasn't afraid, but where could I ask for help regarding such an incident.